SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian458

Narrow privacy screen ideas

Brian S
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The house next to me used to have a short length of privacy fence, but a property management company bought it to rent it out and removed that fence when they fixed it up. The distance between me and my neighbor is relatively short, so I'd like something to block my view of their patio from my deck. I'm looking for a screen that would be between 6 to 10 feet tall, 6 to 8 feet in length, and about 5 feet wide. I'd rather not wait years for it to start screening. I've thought about different things for far too long and I'm not making any decisions. Everything from just ornamental grass, to a variety of shrubs, or a single type of hedge. Suggestions since I can't seem to make up my mind?

This screen grab from a street view map shows the area I'm referring to. The yellow box would be the new screen. My house is on the right. That small wood fence you see on the left is no longer there. You might ask why I wouldn't put a shrub up against the fence line. That's because there is a swale there. An underground spring is back behind our property somewhere, and when it rains a lot we have water coming down the hill and through our property line right where that fence was. This is why i'd need to put this screen a bit closer to my side. I'd put a small berm there to give it a bit more distance from the water.

Comments (11)