SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
designsaavy

Chandelier. Will this look good over table?

designsaavy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Need your help...badly. Not sure if this will go, but I like it. Your opinions needed.

The countertop is now marble look quartz.

Comments (25)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

How wide is it? It looks like it might possibly be as wide as the table.

• Related Discussions

What would look good over this chest?

Q

Comments (18)
    I live in a monochromatic world in my own home, not in others.... so I think it's ok :) To place art above you need to take in to consideration the switch plate cover that holds three switches. It would have to be very narrow otherwise it would hang way too high off of the table which should be 4" or so. Now, an art dilemma unless it's on the narrow and tall side. How wide is the table which is the most important question.
    ...See More

Looking for chandelier over table and pendant lights.

Q

Comments (1)
    Your kitchen is a bit traditional and your table and chairs are not.
    ...See More

what Chandelier would look good? Any examples people want to provide?

Q

Comments (4)
    Here are a few thoughts. The first three are variations on a theme. https://www.lampsplus.com/products/feiss-angelo-24-inch-wide-weathered-oak-5-light-chandelier__18w24.html https://www.lampsplus.com/products/hinkley-sawyer-24-inch-wide-sequoia-6-light-outdoor-chandelier__44h64.html https://www.lampsplus.com/products/quoizel-lounge-27-and-one-half-inch-wide-5-light-gray-ash-chandelier__20p75.html https://www.lampsplus.com/products/madera-28-and-one-quarter-inch-wide-black-iron-hand-forged-chandelier__2y207.html https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Distressed-Weathered-Oak-4-Light-Wood-Orb-Chandelier/19738476/product.html  (maybe a bigger version for your space) This last one was my first thought, but I think it is too same-same with your table and floor and wall color. While I think it's a nice enough fixture by itself, it would be boring in your space. You need a bit more contrast. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Farmhouse-Distressed-Antique-White-5-Light-Wood-Chandeliers/19502082/product.html
    ...See More

What chandelier would look good above my kitchen table.

Q

Comments (13)
    Sammy, great idea but I have this thing about glass tables. I just replaced the one we had because I couldn’t live with it. And I wanted to have the banquette built. The new table was bought online about 4 months ago. Can’t return/exchange. However, I think I am getting closer to what may work and I do like the looks of the lights you sent. Def. will look for more of that type.
    ...See More
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Yeah, if the table is 36" it would work. Thanks, mayflowers.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That was my concern....the color with the table. I do plan on sanding and staining the table a different color, but to be honest, I don't know what type of wood it is so I don't know how well stain will take. Here is close-up. IRL it's a little deeper orange than this.

The legs seem to be browner.

I thought about painting the chairs. So...wood table with different stain and painted chairs.

The table is 36" wide x 72" long.

The chandelier is marked down to $479 from $599. I also have a coupon for 15% off. Do you think it's ever marked down lower?

I'm not committed to this chandelier. I had first considered black or oil rubbed bronze. I also have this which my dh needs to rewire that could be hung above table. It's quite large and I could paint it. Sorry, only pic I have when we were remodeling and quite the mess. We were trying to see how it would look over sink area....but also wondered about over table.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I do like it. I'd put it a tad lower than the one that's over the table now.

You need to love it, and be okay with the bare bulbs light. Will give more bright light on one hand, more shadows on the other.

It does look pretty fab though. I wouldn't care about finish as long as it speaks to you.

When did you see it? I commit to lights only after weeks of inner struggle))) Unless it's really cheap or unless I'm stricken with them like if they were a lightning bolt or something.

I like your lantern too..I do remember it))

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol, the current chandelier is tied up high so we could walk under it while remodeling. I just never bothered to lower it.

I see what you mean about waiting awhile before committing to a big purchase. I just saw it today, so maybe holding back until I contemplate it for awhile would be best.

I found a close-up of the lantern light. It needs some tlc, definitely. I'm just afraid it wouldn't provide enough light. There's no recessed cans in the dining area. Stupid builder.

Here's another I've considered, but it's pricey.

I was wondering if it would be overkill doing black since I have black countertops, black armoire, etc.

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Designsaavy - love the pictures of your kitchen. I'm pretty sure the lantern light would not provide enough light for the table (but it is fun looking!). I like the pictures you have in the dining room (9 arranged together).

It took me forever to select a light for our kitchen table; I did not want the standard chandelier. Here's ours; Veraluz Fascination. It's a lovely open feel which might work well in your space, imo.

(Taken during a New England snow storm)

Daylight:

Good luck!

• User
    7 years ago

I think your table is pine, so it will stain well. The legs look cherry to me, especially with them being a different color. My first dining set had maple legs but pine seats and top. Pine wasn't strong enough for the legs.

The lantern is for a foyer, not a table. I like a black light with your kitchen colors.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Your table is pine.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I think the style of the first would work but not the finish which seems too fancy for your table and chairs. I like the Trademark you just posted! That one would work well, imo. It doesn't look like a strong black to me. I like the color in the photo which looks like a rubbed finish maybe with brown in it. Carrying the dark colors of the kitchen into the dining area would be a good idea, imo.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all.

Oldbat, your light is very original and unique. I like unique. I happened to be in an antique store and found a giant book of horticulture prints for $19 and bought wood IKEA frames for $10 EACH, so it worked out great for me.

Mayflower and cpartist, I had a feeling it was pine. That scares me. My crazy orange stain stair balusters are pine. I tried to slightly sand and stain with General Finishes. It was SO splotchy.

The table top is also kinda wavy and distressed. I guess all I can do is give it a try. Maybe on the underside of table top first to see how it turns out.

Should have never bought that lantern. Bought it on a whim.

I still need to decide on curtains for the bay area and kitchen window. Perhaps I should focus on that first before the lighting.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I think pine absorbs stain unevenly which is why the splotchiness. There are pre-conditioners for woods like that.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Designsaavy, your kitchen looks like an art to me. So beautiful. The armoire is a killer.

Currey is great quality. At least it's pricey for a reason. When you see it up close-you kinda get it. Because something so so is often half a thousand. So Currey probably thinks "If our lights are twice as good, why won't we charge twice as much?" It's crazy out there with prices, and I started hunting down vintage for a reason.

I get what you mean about too much black. I don't know..had the same dilemma with my kitchen. Wanted a copper faucet to offset all the silver and stainless. The faucet arrived..beautiful but the quality wasn't there. Sent it back. Went for stainless steel Kohler. It's okay. But the copper one would make the kitchen sing..

On the other hand-the chandelier is for the dining..it's not in the kitchen per se..

PS I also tried your idea of framed pages in IKEA frames. Alas, not from an antique book-but one especially successful Anthro catalog)) It's in my master bath. If it was from an antique book-would maybe get more central space..))

PPS oldbat2be, I like your light a lot. I'm always driven to color.

My favorite from Currey was this carousel lantern..it's scarlet red. But then again, it was a lantern..more foyer light.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Snookums, do I sand, apply wood conditioner, let dry, and apply stain? Does it help the stain go on more evenly?

April, we've tried to do everything on a budget and haven't borrowed to do anything. I just save and get things when I can. I like freestanding furniture in the kitchen. I couldn't believe we got the armoire for $100. Extremely heavy. I really do love it. It's very functional with doors that slide in the unit...it has two deep drawers that are about 36" wide. One is for breads, popcorn and peanut butter since the microwave and toaster are in there on a shelf as well. The other has trays (like from a cafeteria) that we use if we want to eat something in front of the tv, and paper plates.

Thanks everyone. If y'all think of a chandelier that leans traditional with a farmhouse twist, let me know. :-).

I would be grateful for ideas for curtains for my bay area in dining area as well. I really do have a fear of color, so I'm leaning toward a neutral background with a print of some sort with greens, blues, grays and/or browns. Maybe floral or geometric? Ideas? I don't need heavy fabric or even lined since I have the honeycomb shades. But, I do need something washable since I have two cats....The little hairy things.

The bad thing is it's 93" from floor to above windows at ceiling inside the recessed bay. I'm thinking I should get curtains that are 95"-96", and hem them instead of 84" just above the window. I won't be closing the curtains, so just four panels.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I forget the specifics. I did use it on pine and the stain went on evenly afterwards. I don't recall if it needs to dry first or not. There is a woodworking forum here who could advise. The instructions should also include those details.

• romy718
    7 years ago

I like the style of the PB Collins Chandelier with your kitchen style, the eating area walls & ceiling detail & the wall art. The brass finish looks great with your wall color. Just not sure about it with the table.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I easily believe the armoire was 100-most people just start to get how cool these are..people usually need some distance(in time) to appreciate the older things again. It's the best time to buy an armoire now-there are so many beautiful ones! And they are still cheap. But soon they won't be,mark my word. Great purchase. I love freestanding furniture in the kitchen too!-ours is so compact though, no way we could fit even a tabourette there:) And I would love an armoire like yours..kitchen or not.

But we'll have a hutch, in the dining/living. It's from sixties, it's walnut, and I really like it too. Alas these are very popular now, because the same thing happened to them that's going to happen to armoires lol. So even on Craigslist where I got it..no I won't even tell you how much it was. But I love it, everybody loves it..so no regrets.

BTW speaking of what people will start finding beautiful again real soon-I read recently an opinion that it will be pine:) Don't be in a hurry to stain it..just saying.

I love looking at curtains(and fabrics in general). I'll try to do some search. When I'm less sleepy lol.

• knitsewoften
    7 years ago

I love the Trademark chandelier! i recently just went through the same thing with chandeliers. My dining space is connected to the kitchen, so I was trying to get something that blended well with the rest of the fixtures. But instead of getting the coordinating chandelier to my pendant lights, I got this:

I bought it on a whim, because it was on clearance for a fraction of the cost of other chandeliers I was looking at. So far I really like it. I was having a hard time deciding between an "uplight" and "downlight" chandelier and this is the best of both worlds. I feel like the candelabras give off a nice light in every direction, which I really appreciated since it is the only light in that part of the kitchen/dining room. I haven't eaten at the table with it yet, so I can't comment on that but it seems like it should be the right amount of light at the table as well. I also went with frosted bulbs just to avoid the light being too bright/glaring since there were no shades. I know they do take away a little bit of the old world charm though. I definitely think that type of chandelier can give a farmhouse look if that's what you are going for! I'm going for country/primitive with a little French country.

I've also been interested in possibly staining the top of my table and it's funny, I was actually going to suggest general finishes gel stain to you because that's what I was planning on using. My tabletop and chair seat are wood, the rest black and I never liked how much of an orange tint they had so I was hoping to tone it down. I also just ordered some black counter stools with wood seats and their seats are just as orange, so I was hoping to try it there too.

I've been practicing with it a little bit on old baseboards, because I am planning on doing the baseboards in my house darker as well. Once thing I've noticed is it seems to work better for me over an existing finish. For instance I did a pocket door with it, I stripped it first and the stain looked terrible/blotchy (I think it was pine too). I ended up spraying the whole door with de-waxed shellac and it was a lot easier to apply over it. The only thing I'm not sure of is the durability over a poly or shellac when used on a table. I do plan to seal mine if I stain it though. Does your table have polyurethane that you stained over, or did you sand that off?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

..OK, so I'll post several pics. Everything is from Anthropologie.com-simply because I find their quality-price balance the best, out of the ready-made curtains I know. I use them a lot myself, and I'm pleased with the quality, and with the customer service. These are on the cheaper side, they all (but one or two that are polyester unfortunately I think) are cotton or cotton-linen combo..all are machine washable-I made sure to check it. But double check it of course if you happen to like something. I went with more or less subtle botanical motive..and a bit fauna too in some)) I think it's very evident you prefer it)) But they have different level of how pronounced the motive is. Some are the same, but different colorways. Some have different colorways but I chose only one to post. Hint to me whether I'm even close to something you might like, or not-so it's easier to look some more, in the direction that speaks to you.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Knits, your Chandelier looks nice. I prefer uplights. I haven't done anything yet to this used dining table. Just don't want to get in over my head refinishing when I don't have any experience.

April, thank you so much for taking the time to help me with the curtain search. I'm looking to add a little pop of color in the curtains. My first thought is to have multi-colors on a neutral (beige) background. But, then I'm afraid when it's too bold. I'm afraid to go with just one color (unless it's a neutral beige or gray-ish) cause I'll be stuck decorating with just that color. I get bored, so I change pillows seasonally. I guess I'll know when I see THE One!

I don't care for pics 1, 2, 3, 6 & 7.

I actually like #4 a lot....The pattern and the color. I wonder if you can order fabric samples? I'm wondering how it would look with my Revere Pewter walls that are greige, but lean more beige.

#5 is just ok, but not in those colors.

I like the pattern of #8, but too dark of print. I'll see what other colors they have.

I really like #9 a lot, but not quite that dark of shade of blue. I'll look if there's other options with it.

Here are some screen shots of different curtains in rooms I liked or just pics of curtains or fabric. Most didn't have info on them.

Not 100% sure about plaid.

This may be a bit to bold in color and too much yellow.

Can't really see pattern but it's subdued color I like.

Can't see entire curtain but I like the little bit I see.

I like the pattern.

I like the neutral pattern with the natural woven shades. I could maybe put woven shades in front of my honeycomb shades? Anyway, if I just go with a simple or plain pattern, I like the woven shade.

If you see any more or have any stores you can point me to, let me know.

Thanks bunches!

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

No, you can't order swatches there, but maybe you can order just one panel to see whether it works. I never did that though. I order right away-after long and painful consideration. I never returned their curtains yet(except for one that I ordered in the wrong size; then I exchanged it)

They have a lot of choice, and you can see close ups etc. There are often also reviews, which I personally find very useful.

The problem with houses pictured in magazines-it's usually not ready made. You buy a fabric, and give it to a seamstress(unless you can do a good job yourself). I had custom curtains made once in my life..they were beautiful, extremely expensive too(well, at least to me then). It was for a huge french window..the fabric was organza, so it needed to drape a lot..tons of fabric. But they were lovely. They made our modest place into something special.

Then we had to leave and we rented the place-for seven years or so. I left the curtains, I wanted the renters to feel at home. Left a lot of things, it was rented as "partially furnished". When we came back, the curtains were not there anymore. I don't know who took them..we had several families rent the place, 7 years is a lot.

I don't put my heart and my money into custom made curtains anymore. Once was enough lol.

PS I was afraid you won't like yellow..so I saved a couple and then I didn't post it because of the yellow:)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

..Listen, was waiting at the doctor's today, saw some curtains in a magazine, wrote down the source. Now I'm checking their website-it's semi-custom I'd say, and their lower prices are more like Anthro's expensive ones. And I bet the ones I like the most must be dry cleaned only(my favorites from Anthroplogie are dry clean only for example). But. To be fair-they do have tons of choices, and I really liked some of the colors and patterns. I didn't see all of them-I went up to page 31 only..))) Anyway, here's the link. Who knows maybe you'll fall in love with something.

http://www.loomdecor.com/window-treatments/curtains-drapes

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

PS and there you can order a swatch

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Those fabrics are gorgeous! Eye candy! And I love the one above! There were many I was drooling over. Unfortunately, there is no way I can spend that much on one panel. Most I saw were $180 up to $248 per panel. And I need four for the bay and curtains for kitchen window as well.

I may have to resort to something simple and inexpensive (like when JC Penneys runs a sale). My mom said she could sew me some panels, but she doesn't live really close. I could maybe bring her and her sewing machine to my house for a few days!!

April, thank you so much for searching for me and posting that :-)

I bet someone will definitely use it. If anyone orders from their site, please be sure to post.

• smm5525
    7 years ago