SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovestogarden

Curly Top Virus

lovestogarden
7 years ago

Need Advice. This is my worst tomato year ever due to curly top virus. I grow tomatoes for a few local restaurants and this is usually my favorite time of year, tucking vines, harvesting tomatoes, and generally admiring the happy plants. This year, I went to the county extension agent after the death of 9 plants--the most I'd ever lost (started with 330 this year). Since then, plants have continued to die. I have removed and thrown away infected plants, sprayed with water, introduced lady bugs and lacewings, and today, sprayed with insecticidal soap. I've put up shade cloth to eliminate more of those extra sunny spots that the beet leafhoppers are supposed to prefer and to lower temps for tomato set (high 90s and low 100s last couple weeks). Does anyone have experience with this? Is there something else I should try? A friend with 600 plants is now down to 350. I've pulled 25 and this morning, saw another 6 that are definitely infected and several others that might be, or perhaps it's just the high temps.

Comments (12)