SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben_au

Curly Top Virus ?

ben_au
18 years ago

Hey all, nice forums, been reading them for a while and have now joined up as I have a bit of a problem with my tomatoes and was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction...

This is my first year growing and my problem concerns my 3 Roma's (all in 45cm containers, mulched with pinebark, and fed NPK ~ 12-12-12 liquid fert ~ every 10 - 14 days, all from seed) All three have what I suspect is curly top virus, the leaves are rolling inwards on themselves and seem quite stiff and slightly crisp, even when they would normally be wilting. Branches have become quite stiff and shoot outwards or slightly upwards rather than out and down at a slight angle. New growth also appears to have slowed to a complete stop of late, but this could just be me I guess. It seems to affect the shoots and branches nearest to the top of the plant the most, but more and more of the lower leaves\branches seem to be "infected".

The 3 plants I have are of different sizes, the largest being about 100cm, this one has been doing quite well up until now and has quite a few tresses of fruit growing steadily (although it's first couple did suffer from blossom end rot, I picked these fruits of and none of the others have yet gone the same way). The other 2 are younger plants and are maybe 30 - 45cm each, no fruit. My garden space is quite limited so these plants would get 5 hours of direct sunglight tops per day. All grown from seed.

Other info which may be rellevant:

-All plants have a healthy white-fly population, although I don't believe this exceeds what the plants can sustain.

-The leaves also have white\cream coloured oval shaped "eggs" on the underside of the older leaves, they are about 1 - 2 mm in length, I've always assumed they were white-fly eggs and never worried about them (??).

-Older leaves sometimes develop holes in them, they are rust coloured around the edges, but instead of there being an actually hole, it is just see through, eventually this see though material turn into a hole.

-On occasion I have seen tiny light green bugs, ~1 - 2 mm in length, on ly on occasion though, could this be Beet Leafhopper and if so would just a couple be enough to transmit CTV?

Wow, what a long winded all over the place post, so many questions...so little time left in the season.

I have included a pic of the plant that is most affected (I hope the problem can be identified with it, I actually took more photos, of the other problems as well, but I think I can only post one (??)), it is only about 1 foot high and was looking so bushy, lush and healthy until about a fortnight ago...Please help me!

Image link:

Comments (10)