SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acarsme

Wood retaining wall advice needed..

acarsme
7 years ago

Hello, we are wanting to build a two level retaining wall on the steep hill that we have on the north side of our house. I have gotten quotes for a railroad tie wall, which is coming in at just under $9,000. To do a boulder wall was quoted at $14k, and a segmented block wall was $16,000. It seems insane to me to spend the kind of money on a block wall, especially if I have doubts that this will be my permanent house. My wife also thinks rail ties would look better given our semi-wooded setting in our backyard.

I asked the landscaper about the longevity of these railroad ties, and he said he gives them 25 years, give or take 5 years on either side, and that he uses Grade A rail ties.
I was concerned about termites possibly destroying these things sooner than that....we live in the south and I know we have what are called Formossan termites....I thought I read these little bastards will even eat right through railroad ties.

He told me that the ties would have a barrier of crushed drainage stone behind them. I got to thinking later though about the deadmen they would install......those certainly would have no barrier protection from crushed stone like the front of the wall, correct? Won't those be in direct contact with the ground?

I can live with a rail tie wall if in fact I'll get the 20-30 years out of them. I just don't want to drop $9,000 and then have them get destroyed in just a few years.

Any thoughts on this matter? Thanks.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!