SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niccig

How to work out style for kitchen?

Scott Grayson
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We're starting to plan a renovation, the main focus will be improving floor plan of kitchen/laundry/living room, and we know a large part of the budget will be structural (moving walls, knocking out walls, new flooring, replacing 4 aluminum windows to match wood windows in rest of house). I'm someone that's more concerned about function and budget - I want a kitchen where someone can open fridge and someone can open dishwasher at same time, lots of counter space and storage, but I don't care so much about how it looks. I don't want to go crazy on the kitchen (trust me, I could if I won the lottery), but solving the stupid floor plan has to be the priority. I do want it to look nice, but I can't narrow "nice" down. Anything is better than what we have. We're going to start interviewing designers to work out what we want and I know they'll ask questions about the style of the kitchen.

I like white cabinetry and I like stained wood. I want frameless cabinets to capitalize on space, all lower drawers with full extension and a pull out for the trash, but I don't care so much for other bells and whistles, or I'll add later (e.g. drawer dividers)

I love the feel of marble and soapstone counters, but any etching or nicks would be too much for me. I want easy to care and not crazy expensive. My MIL's Venetian Gold granite would be fine as it's much much much better than my chipped white tile counters, where I have to scrub grout lines to keep it looking somewhat decent. I just want lots more counter space. I bought a kitchen design magazine, and all the kitchens look amazing, but I would hate them as there's not enough counter space. I'm not spending a tonne of money to end up with nicer looking kitchen but same amount of counters as I have now.

We replaced our appliances 2 years ago - SS french door fridge, dishwasher, 30" LG double oven electric range, good hood. I plan to reuse these. I figure I'll upgrade the range at same point as I don't like the dials on the back, but I would still want a double oven range. I do like to have gas burners, so maybe I'll replace with gas double oven, but I like electric ovens and the electric top has been fine, so I don't see point of changing it out now. We will need to replace microwave, and I could see eventually having a convection microwave, if I end up going back to 1 oven in the range. But for now, a regular microwave is fine as I just use it for reheating things (and could make sure location can be big enough for convection microwave later)

My mother is an amazing cook (everything from scratch), and she only upgraded recently to a pro stove (2 ovens, 1 broiler, 1 warming drawer). The rest of her kitchen is very basic and 25 years old - 1 sink, Formica counters with wood edging, basic dishwasher, but lots of counter space, and large walk-in pantry with 1 fridge and 1 upright freezer - but both are white. I *know* I don't need pro appliances or fancy everything to cook good food. I do cook, not as much as my mother though, but in my group of friends, I'm considered the cook. E.g. for Thanksgiving we go to a friend's house as she has more room for guests at dining table, but I make majority of meal and transport it there. I figure she has to clean up to entertain, so it's an even swap. She has an amazing looking kitchen with pro appliances and recycled glass counters, but I hate cooking there as there's little counter space, not enough walking space around appliances, and I'm paranoid I'll stain the counters.

Any advice on narrowing down the "look" of the kitchen? Should we work out cabinets first and then go from there to figure out counters, back splash etc. Or should I first figure out flooring - we're hoping under the marmoleum we have same original floor as rest of house, so we can refinish it all. If we have to replace flooring, that could change things too. Where do I start?

Comments (8)