SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yvonne_99

How to close/seal cat 5 cable hole in siding after cable installation

7 years ago

I posted a question about residing my house earlier this month. I've talked with lots of siding contractors and think I have decided on the one I will use. I've been in this house for 2 years. I had the cable company add a cable tv outlet in my kitchen. They were unable to run the line from the inside so they drilled a hole in the siding for the line. They then ran the line over my back door to access the cable box on the other side of the house. The cable company did nothing to close the hole; they just drilled it and installed the outlet in the kitchen.

Now I'm ready to install new Hardie Plank siding. I didn't think to ask any of the siding contractors how they will address the cat 5 cable line. What is the proper way this issue should be addressed. Should they just put silicon sealer around the hole? Should they use a cable pass through bushing? I'm just trying to get advice before I talk again with the contractor so I will have an idea of what I should expect and yes I still need the cat 5 line. My new siding will not have the bead edging.

My plan when all is said and done is to have the cat 5 line run under the paver at my back door instead of over the door, but right now I'm just trying to determine the best approach for the line exiting my house..............tia

Comments (6)