SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_schreiber

Odd large leaves and tall flowers? This is new

Emily Schreiber
7 years ago

Well, long story short I have 3 beloved purple with white tip african violets that came from my great grandmother's hybrid she created back in the 50s or so and she took to competitions and shows for 20 something years. Her name was Mabel White from Southeast Texas if any of y'all may have known her. Well, she made these beautiful, hearty violets that a few of us still have babies from. They've never given me fuss in the 6 years I've had them. I've kept in relativity small pots and none ever jumped out. Always healthy and well proportioned. Now, 2 of the 3 have all of a sudden in the past 2-3 weeks made leaves that were huge and the flowers sprouted very tall! I have no clue. Nothing has changed. I rotate them about every two weeks, same window, same soil (filled in new soil 4-5 months ago) same water, same dust, same dog fur. I like to believe that mine grow better with dust and fur.

Now, 2 are tall?! The flower stalks are 4-5 inches tall and leaves as big as my palm. What is going on? Their 3r

d partner of same variety has started to get a few brown burnt leaves but nothing significant. Pretty sure I over watered that one.

First 2 pics are of the same flower. It's in a regular pot (always has been for years) not a special self watering one.

Last pic is of the other thats weird. Its always been mousy compared to the rest of them. Tall stalks. What in the world is going on? Thanks! Emily

Comments (4)