SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amokk50

Acidifying tap water for blueberry plants

R D
7 years ago

A couple of questions:

1. Is it 100% ok to water blueberry plants with acidified tap water. Collecting rainwater is a hassle. Family won't allow me to install a rain barrel in our small garden, and not sure if the rainwater from the roof is safe. If it is worth making the effort to use rainwater as much as possible, please let me know.

2. If I want to mix 0.5 tsp of ammonium sulfate with a gallon of acidified tap water, what should the initial ph of the acidified tap water be? I ask, because ammonium sulfate can acidify the soil. Ph of the soil in a container is around 5. I don't see any immediate difference in the ph of the solution when 0.5 tsp of ammonium sulfate is mixed with tap water.

3. How long does it take for the sulfuric acid to neutralize the bicarbonates in the tap water? Is the effect immediate, or should I wait a certain amount of time?

4. Are expensive ph strips more reliable than the cheap ones sold on eBay and Amazon (from China):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xph+strips.TRS0&_nkw=ph+strips&_sacat=0

For example ColorpHast ph strips cost 20-30 times more. Is it worth the cost?

Comments (7)