SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
powerofpi

Acidifying Soil For Blueberries

powerofpi
9 years ago

I recently planted 4 "Sweetheart" blueberry bushes in a 10'x10' garden area. I began to read more about them and learned that blueberries need soil with plenty of organic matter and extremely acidic conditions in the range of pH of 4-5. I quickly bought a pH meter and discovered (to my horror) that my soil had a pH of 7.3! Also, it was rather sandy and without too much organic matter.

Ideally I would have learned all this and amended my soil *before* planting my blueberries... but hindsight is 20/20. In the past couple weeks, I have mixed 180 pounds of peat, 60 pounds of shredded tree bark, a considerable amount of finely-shredded corrugated cardboard, and 12 pounds worth of elemental sulphur into the soil. I removed the blueberries, mixed all of this into the top foot of soil, then put the blueberries back.

My pH has dropped from 7.3 to 6.8, which is still way too high for the blueberries to thrive. I understand that sulphur may take months or even years of bacteria breaking it down in order to significantly lower the pH. Should I take steps such as watering with diluted sulfuric acid? I want my pH to drop rapidly, but I also don't want to accidentally overdo it once the sulphur begins to kick in. I was thinking of watering with diluted vinegar in the mean time, which will have an immediate but temporary effect. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)