SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

New scam (to me) via USPS

mama goose_gw zn6OH
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I received an official looking letter with citi (Citibank, N.A.) letterhead, stating that they needed more info to complete my credit card application. I hadn't applied for a credit card, so I called the included phone number to tell them to cancel the app.

The call was answered by a recorded message asking for my SS# and tax ID# to identify me as the applicant. When I didn't say anything, I was again asked for my SS#. I said 123456789, just to see what would happen, and was told that the number was not listed on my account, and was then connected to a live operator. I explained that I had not applied for a card and wanted the application cancelled. He asked for my date of birth, which I refused to give, stating they had found me with a name and address, so I didn't feel they needed a DOB.

The guy then gave me another # to call, to 'talk about someone assuming my identity.' I looked the number up online, and it's a scam, of course. As soon as they asked for my SS# and tax ID# I was suspicious.

The letter asks for my latest telephone bill, a copy of a bank statement or credit card statement, or another utility bill, and a copy of my most recent pay stub or latest federal tax return.

It all looks very official, so stay vigilant, and warn your elderly relatives who might not be suspicious about being asked for their SS# or tax ID#.

Comments (18)