SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmelko_gw

New twist on 419 Nigerian Scams

mmelko
17 years ago

If anyone here saw Dateline last night on the 419 Nigerian scams, please take it to heart. Don't fall for these scammers.

They are farming the internet for all kinds of things to "purchase" from you. Cars, Ebay items, Vacation Rentals, Employment and even your house. I myself have gotten two of these. The first one was obviously a scammer as the email address was a Yahoo UK address and the grammar was atrocious. I deleted it. Then I got another one the other day, someone had filled out an inquiry form on one of my FSBO ad sites. So at first blush it looked legit. Except the email address was a big clue and the phone number listed was not in the UK but in Nevada and not working.

Finally I got a longer email today that confirmed it for me that this was indeed one of the 419ers.

These guys are all "procurement" agents who want to buy whatever it is you have and will send you a cashier's check for some amount. In my case it represents 15% of the purchase price. You can bet the MoneyGram or Postal Money Order or Western Union Money Order is a fake.

An IP search on the headers of the message will usually return a Lagos, Nigeria address.

The obvious give away is the address they all use in England. Anyone giving you this address is a scammer:

67 St MaryÂs Mansions

Maida Avenue

Little Venice

W2 1SY England

+447031919969

You can delete the email. You can turn them in to Yahoo or Gmail or whatever provider is involved or you can find more information at various internet Scam-alert sites like www.419eaters.com or http://rentals-fraud.blogspot.com/ or www.scam.com or www.consumerfraudreporting.org/bizscam_selling.php or

www.scamvictimsunited.com

These guys probably use some scripting program to ferret out people who will fall for their scam. Don't do it. Research it, report it or pass the scammer onto someone who knows what they are doing.

Comments (24)