SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

News from ole joyful's place

joyfulguy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The other day, maybe last Friday?, I was hacking burdocks between the barn and the north garden, when a young man came down from the house, asking whether I could help him.

He and a friend had come out our way, looking for the aboriginal reserve, and which way would he have to go to get there? Their directions had been wrong and they had run back and forth and up and down over a number of roads on their electrically powered bikes ... until their batteries ran down.

So, they needed to charge their batteries, which could be done in about 20 minutes, and the cost would be about 3 cents, or some such which he told me as we walked toward the house.

So I got one plugged in from the garage, and one from the back porch ... they said that they could both charge from the same wall plug, but, as they were both a few bricks short of a load in the mental department, I wasn't entirely sure to be factual enough to count on.

One of the stores selling native cigarettes is less than a quarter of a mile from my house, so they walked there to buy some, going to the third shop of the three on our road, where I used to buy for my friend.

On their return, I provided them with coffee ... but I had some mugs in the fridge keeping cold, but only one outside that fit into the "Cup-at-a time" machine that I use. So I made one coffee to fill that mug, and had a couple that were too large to fit into the machine, so made a second and third cup (I had to have one, too, of course) in it, while boiling water in the electric kettle to pour into the larger mugs, to heat them up in order that they wouldn't chill out the brew before it got to the recipient's lips.

They seemed to enjoy their visit, and thanked me sincerely as they made their departure to the city, about 30 kilometres/18 miles away.

The bush beans are in flower and I told the landlord's wife that we'd have some soon.

But it might not be a good idea to tell the neighbours, as the original story would be that she and he would soon have beans ... but as it got retold, it would likely be that, "have your heard ... that soon (she) and (he) were going to be "has-beens"?

Not a story that we would want to instigate having got started in the community about ourselves.

I have several gallon jugs that I use to carry water from the city for my drinking and some cooking purposes, upwards of a dozen of them ... but, though I had several in the car, have forgotten to fill them in recent visits to the city (or didn't know a place where I could fill them, as they won't fit into a bathroom sink).

I've gotten down to my last jug, so thought it a good idea to leave the heat in the afternoon of this near-to-hottest-day-of-the-year to come here for a visit with you folks. And to get water, though it's rather inconvenient filling them from a drinking fountain.

Hope you all have a joyful summer (if you're in the northern hemisphere) weekend.

ole joyful/fuelled

Comments (15)