SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

Need Kitchen Organizing Advice

arbpdl
7 years ago

My kitchen is rather small. For one or two people it would probably be okay but for a large family it's lacking. Fortunately I do have a walk in pantry. It has two sets of double cabinets - that is, two uppers and two lowers, each a double door style. It is very narrow though, meaning when you are standing in front of the cabinets your back is close to the wall on the other side. Not much maneuvering room. I've never used it as a proper pantry before. I've wanted to, but there was other junk stored in there since moving in.

I've removed everything from my kitchen and painted the cabinets, inside and out so I have a clean slate. I've also removed the doors from the pantry cabinets so that I can use them as open shelving since there's not much room (before you'd smack yourself with a door if you weren't careful).

Is it better to store ALL food in the pantry and use the kitchen for non consumables or is it better to try to divide the food up between the two areas?

I was initially thinking a small supply in the kitchen and then my extras in the pantry, but that seems kind of redundant. Having the same thing in two places might get confusing and how would I decide what went where? When people help put groceries away I could see that being a disaster - no one sure which should go in which space.

On the other hand, having all consumables in the pantry would be extra steps since it's on the other end of the kitchen from the small counter area. Not that it's that far, it's a small kitchen. But isn't the idea to keep things in a nice work area so everytihng is within reach?

I'm ready to start putting things away and I'm not sure where anything should go.

Comments (6)