SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Having fun with pollinators!

docmom_gw
7 years ago

I've been gradually increasing the numbers and variety of native and other plants in my garden that can benefit pollinators. I've been really disappointed and quite concerned at the small numbers of insects I've seen over the past three summers. But, just this week, I've finally started to see better numbers. Instead of one solitary bumble bee, now I see three or four. Instead of just bumble bees, I see tiny sweat bees and giant black wasp-looking things and others I can't describe. It might have something to do with my ever expanding patch of coneflowers. They seem to find this spot a perfect location for sowing seedlings, so what started as 4-5 plants has grown to hundreds. And they are all blooming just now.

The photo doesn't capture them all, and the edges have hundreds of this year's seedlings. I've already transplanted many plants at various ages to other parts of the yard, and I hope the multiplication process continues. I also have salvias, penstemon, mountain mints, milkweeds, liatris, several different monarda, prairie onion, pussy toes, anise hyssop, annual and perennial coreopsis. Also shady plants like trillium, blood root, Virginia Creeper, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, columbine, Jacob's Ladder, native and non-native ferns, hosta (from the previous owner and enjoyed by the deer). I collect seed from as many plants as I can, and wintersow them to widen current patches, or begin new ones. I wish I knew of other gardeners who would plant these, because I would be thrilled to share. But, my babies aren't the size most folks expect plants to be when they put them out. Though, they need to be planted out in order to develop the robust root systems native plants use to survive in hostile surroundings.

Anyway, the pollinators are increasing and that makes me very happy! I hope others on this forum are seeing encouraging changes around them, too. Let us know what's going on in your yard.

Martha

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!