SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

NEW: Make New Friends: Ghouls just want to have fun!

poisondartfrog
16 years ago

This promises to be a spirited swap! Old ghoulfriends and new ghoulfriends are welcome to sign up. I promise to include lot's of corny Halloween jokes and bad puns, and the group will supply the camaraderie.

Don't be afraid to don your best pointy hat and join in, even if you have never participated in a plant swap before.

I would love to get this one back to basics with plants and a Halloween theme as the centerpiece. Many of us suffered losses due to weather issues this year, so let's scale back from 5 plants to 4 plants required to participate. Remember that in this group sending plants is supposed to be fun! Send what you like and what you would be happy to receive and don't stress about having the newest and greatest. This is still a good time of year for most of us to plant daylilies and German iris and many perennials, and fall bulbs would be absolutely wonderful to send! If your zone limits the fall bulbs that can be grown in your area, please let me know-I will try to match you with someone who can accommodate you.

The rules:

1. You must be at least 18 to join this swap.

2. You must send at least 4 plants. With bulbs, each variety will be considered 1 plant. For example, if you send 8 tulip bulbs and 5 are Orange Emperor tulips and 3 are Queen of Night tulips, each different variety will counts as 1 plant, so that would be a total of 2 plants for purposes of the swap. Please try to send plants that relate to Halloween in some way. It could be that the name includes a Halloweeny word like witch or moon or magic or midnight; or ones that are a Halloweeny color like orange, black or purple.

3. In addition to the plants, include something scary! That could be a scary Halloween decoration, the horror paperback you just finished reading, a picture of my third grade teacher (she terrified me, and still does decades later) or anything else that conveys the spirit of the season. The trick is not to spend a lot of money on your treat, but express what you love about the season!

4. All boxes should be sent priority with delivery confirmation unless it is all fall bulbs, which will probably be fine going parcel post with delivery confirmation, which adds just 18 cents to parcel post rate.

5. Once you receive your box, please share the contents with the group. We want to share each others fun!

6. Sign ups start now and will close on Friday, September 28. I will assign partners on the 29th and we will make October 15 the absolutely last day to send your partner's box. We want to be sure that everyone has time to enjoy their scary Halloween surprise.

Sign up here and email me at poisondartfrog@myway.com. If you are new to the group, share with us a little about yourself. What do you like? What kind of plants do you grow? Do you have a family, pets, hobbies? Pictures are welcome.

This should be fun!

Alana

Comments (151)

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fishy,
    You do important work-if you get a little extra TLC, it is well deserved.

Just four more days for sign ups, then we will play our game. You guys need to tell me what works best for the most people. Shall I post the quiz on Friday night or Saturday night, or even Sunday night? I want as many people as possible who want to play to have a fair chance.

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Poison;
    What is with the quiz? I am a bit old for that!! I was not going to join but I cannot resist. Count me in. This ghoul loves fun!! diene

• Related Discussions

new: open invitation to a new make new friends robin!

Q

Comments (150)
    Ahh yes, the math skills are really horrible (I don't know if this is just an epidemic in WV or if the whole US is calculator spoiled). I'll never forget one time I was at McDonald's and my total came to something like $4.96 and I gave her a $5...she messed up the register and was completely lost as to how much to give me back. I said "it's just 4 cents, don't worry about it"...but she said "well, then my register will be off"...so I waited for her to go get her supervisor who proceeded to use a calculator to figure up my change. I was completely dumbfounded. I'm not sure those were the exact amounts..but it was very simple math...so sad. The bad thing is I've seen several examples similar to this. For a short while while I was in college, I worked at Shoney's. I ended up quitting after about a month or so because the supervisor kept forcing me to work over when I had exams yo study for and things I really needed to get home to...but when I went in to quit, the manager came into the office and tried to talk me out of it because they had been having trouble finding people who can count back change! Amazing to me.
    ...See More

new: mnf - ghouls just wanna have fun - 2nd edition

Q

Comments (150)
    its 1:31 here, the boy is having company tonight, the only one we ever allow him to have over, LOL but i know talla has a crush on the boy and i think the feeling might be a little mutual, just a little. the boy is a little younger than tabor and a little older than talla. i told hubs, and we both agreed out of all the kids in this town he's the nicest one!! but i've been keeping my eye on them!! hey vic!! youve got that ol onery streak!! **big grinn*** that is sooo cool!! i missed that too!! when those seeds are harvested do ya want me to send ya some?? but you cant let little one eat any, well, in fact you cant either, and don't feed them to your hubs!! **onery grinn** that dark side is really bad!! the base of my "tree" is huge!! hubs said he was gonna chop it down ...i had to laugh at him really hard till i realizzed he was serious. then i told him, once it freezes they will die, so don't worry, i said i need those seeds baby!! and just kept chuckling!! he's just cute sometimes!! LOL tabor is helping me host the rr next month. now i have to go to the name that plant forum and see what some of my plants are!! i'm glad your pups are doing good!! wendy, i don't know if tabor emailed you, but he's waiting on the seeds of the bonarisis?? its drying out now, so i think he's about ready. he's upset with me now, because of our(my) goal, but the prize at the end for him is a youth bow that he's been wanting forever. he knows that. but he doesn't want to work so hard. LOL ~Medo
    ...See More

UPDATE: Ghouls Wanna have fun # 3

Q

Comments (149)
    Look at what Bunny had that mean old Mary Poppins do to me! I'm all cracked up! Where are all the kings horses and all the kings men? Please put me back together again!
    ...See More

update: ghouls just wanna have fun - 2nd edition - part 2

Q

Comments (47)
    Proudgm, you can save any pics to there, if it's in PB already then there is a link that says "copy to my album" and it will put it there. As far as other sites, I know there is a way to upload them to PB from your album, I think you would just put the web address in it, I've never done it before. Also as Tracy pointed out above: Vic, one thing I would like to add about setting up your own photobucket account is that you can create your own folders for it too. I have several different sub albums in my account for family pics, garden shots, then sub albums for each of my individual gardens, clematis, lilies, daylilies and then keep a separate album for all web art I find that I want to use again or edit/personalize. I like keeping them separated so if I do a search I can find what I'm looking for pretty quickly. It is a pretty neat site and they just recently expanded some of their editing tools so you can add comments and funny designs to the pictures too. I've started part 3 so we don't have to wear our mouses out scrolling the page : )
    ...See More
  • letha1971
    16 years ago

Okay,Okay, I promise no warts or moles in my box. There will be treats and maybe......a few tricks!(hehehe)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Letha, I can't wait! LOL! So glad the warts and moles are off the ingredient's list! lol!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diene, I am so glad you decided to join! Welcome!

Tracy, What's wrong with warts and moles? I think they give my face character!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Kissie and Smooches all ya warts and mole babies!!! Hope everyone has a wonderful day today!!!! Up and at em! have a busy day ahead!

Smiles,
    Pixie

PS... its quarter til 8 so WAKE UPPPP!!!!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Well I'm off to the Farmer's Market.Ya'll need anything?

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Hi everybody!

Poison, anytime works for me with the quiz. My hubby will be gone for the week-end on a hunting trip with the guys, so I won't have much to do!! (well, I will, but I can put it off til Sunday!!) I'll just have to fight for computer time with the kids!! I can't wait, I want that daylily!! lol.
    I read on the chime wrap up forum about dirts great daylily find on ebay! I was just on there myself doing a little 'ghoul' shopping :), but I missed that! I just might have to check that out!
    But right now I better get back to the kiddies! Have a great day, Karen

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of the best parts of Halloween for me are the Zombie movies I watch every year. We have a horror movie marathon and invite friends and family over. It's a big yearly event for us. (Yes, we are a family of eccentrics and being in a rural area, are easy to entertain.)
    I usually have caramel apples and a cake I decorate to look like a huge black rat with plenty of blood (kool-aid, juice or red wine, depending on age and inclination)to drink. This year, I am going to serve these:

Severed Finger Cookies
    Servings: 48
    Amount Measure Ingredient
    1 batch Basic Sugar Cookies
    1 cup blanched almonds
    1 tablespoon red food coloring

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place almonds in a bowl, drizzle on enough red food coloring to coat almonds. Stir almonds around so that they are evenly colored. Place almonds on paper towel-lined platter to dry.

Work with one half of the dough at a time and keep the remainder refrigerated. Scoop dough into tablespoonful-sized balls. Roll each piece of dough into a finger shape. Press 1 almond, pointy-end out, firmly into 1 end of cookie finger to form a nail. Press the tines of a fork lightly into the dough just below the nail and in the center of the finger to form knuckles.

Place cookies, about 1-inch apart, on parchment-lined cookie sheets; bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until pale golden. When cookies are done, let cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes. Remove cookies to platter to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough and almonds.

Per serving: 98 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (50% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 24mg Sodium

Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

This time I will not be the last one ready! I've got my box 1/2 done and it's going out the 1st day. I may even get the stuff for the xmas swap too. (for the new gals, I'm hosting Xmas one, and the theme is "ornamentials" and you incluse an ornament, because well I'm cheesy like that.)

Don't get me wrong I know I do a job that means alot and makes a differance, and I found a hubby who is happy to support me in what has been heartbreaking work. I'm a lil bummed this week, a girl who I've had since she was 2 is moving away (she's 6.5 now), on the good side her mum is getting married to a great guy who loves them both to pieces, but it's like losing a daughter (I stink at professional detachment, but the kids have to know you care and are a stable part of thier lives to blossom as they do).

So we have come to a budget on the playground addition.... 6 grand, most of the work is being custom done by my part-time handyman (brother in law, I bought him a car last year, after he got the worst divorce lawyer ever, and he's been paying me back in work here). This year we're adding a 2 story castle playhouse and robin hood's hut in the north side, a few benches and a 2nd cottage with built-in kitchen for more "playing house" fun. Work will be starting just after Halloween and thru xmas. The kids will be unwrapping house/castle stuff the week of xmas to add to our village. I think I may have him expand the bunny yard too. Oh yes, I'm painting them myself to cut costs... uhhhh Becki, can I order 10 dozen cookies, seriously I won't have time to bake for our families this year.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Yeeeeech.....While those cookies SOUND delicious, I'm sure they don't LOOK it! :O) Which means....My kids would LOVE them! :O)

April, as long as you're off to the market....I'll take one of each, and 2 of the other. :O)
    Thanks!!!!
    (lol)

Anyone see the recipe for Eyeball Ice cream?? Icky, but the kids loved it.
    Take 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, and drizzle strawberry syrup on them (like "red eye" lines). Then just top with a blue m&m (or green or brown...depends on what color you like your eyes)!
    Instant yuck factor!! :O) Add red licorice whips for hair, and you've got a icky treat (and some sticky fingers to wash later!) :O)

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Fishy - of course!!! Email me, if you really want to do that! Your playground addition sounds SO COOL!!! I wish we could do some of that in our yard - I'll have to think of some cool plans! I am totally planning next year a teepee or house for vines to climb - have to work on those plans - I think the younger kids will love that!

Poison - your big Halloween party sounds a bit like our 4th of July holiday! Everyone around here knows our house is the place to be, as we throw a big party, complete with the fireworks (shh - they aren't legal in Iowa - but the previous county sheriff told us if no one complained, they didn't care.) It gets bigger and bigger every year, as more and more people find out and invite others!

Carmel apples - I was just telling Dave this morning that I want to make some! I haven't made any in ages, and that just sounds SO YUMMY!!!!

Well, I don't think I'll be the last one to send this time either!! I've been buying some good bulbs at Walmart (they look really good - not all dried out like some of them they have), plus, I went to a garden center today and spent a little money there!!! OOOHHH that was fun!!! It would have been better had I been by myself, and could have really looked and thought about what I wanted, but they have these great glass balls and fun bird baths that Lily just couldn't leave alone, so I had to make it quick!! Nonetheless, I had a lot of fun, and can't wait to share my goodies!!! Plus, I bought all kinds of stuff on clearance after last halloween, so I've got some decorating goodies to share as well! Yippee!!!!

Hope everyone is having a good day!! Rainy here again, so it's an indoor day! (I like that bunches, but it give Lily a bit of 'cabin fever' I'm afraid!)

Becki

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

lmao I have a "jello mold" that is Halloween, sheesh gonna have to get the boxes down for Halloween this year! Yall have been soooo good for me! I am actually excited about ALL of the holidays this year! I LOVE Halloween, always have but then well ya'll know. NOT getting MUSHY here but Thank ya'll!!!!

SOMEONE HAS A BIRTHDAY TOMORROW BTW!!!! Wonder who that might be????

Smiles,
    Pixie

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

I have the jello brain mold.... creepy fun. This year we're doing a zombie theme for the older kids (as in scooby doo & zombie island), last year our theme was "welcome t'Norg" and we had a pirate village (our pirate ship playhouse was all done up with a "skeleton crew").

Witches Brew Punch:

1 quart of lime sherbert in scoops
    6 ltrs of lemon-lime shasta

Scoop ice cream into a punch bowl, pour in soda and foam up some brew for the kiddies. (I also make this with raspberry sherbet for valentione's day).

I love that I get to over-do the holidays and call it "work".

Becki, I can send you the place I got ideas from, but hubby being hubby, just HAD to take the blue prints and "fix them". As a result our castle now has 2 turrets and a working draw bridge. They also sell both plans and premade ones, but since I've free labor, I ordered plans. I'm thinking about having them design a 12 bed "castle" wall for the nap room (to fit the dozen or so toddler sized matresses in a staggered bunk-bed way). That may have to wait for next year though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Playhouses

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I wanna go play at Fishy's place!!!
    Please, please..can I?? Can I??????

Whhheeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

:O) :O) :O)

I've always wanted to see a real castle!!!!! lol
    Seriously...You have GOT to be the COOLEST day care provider/preschool type person...EVER!!!!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Eh, it beats working for a living.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Time to go cover history with my 2nd grade class, today is Ceasar and Cleopatria and the fall of egypt. The parents are asking, will we go 3rd grade next year, as they'd rather keep the kids here, than move them to public school... somehow this is quickly becomming an elementary school, which means I'll need more staff next year (we're at 100% enrollment now, with a waiting list). Yes bunny you can, so long as you can fit inside the 5'6 ceilings. Tomorrow is my day off (I work Sat with the kids who's parents have the Thurs, fri, sat shift at the hospitals), but I'm doing a Sam's club run to pick up this month's restock, as well as the 3 trunks of dress up clothes I ordered (1 fairy set, 1 princess set, 1 "boy" set of firemen, policeman etc.) Then a trip to the farmer's market to order the 6 cases of fruit this week (they will deliver, but I wanna see what's fresh now, rather than pick off a list). The highlight of all this is that I got a grant to pay for $15,000 in repairs, additions and tools for the kids, as well as sending 2 senior staff to complete thier master teachers certs (I pay for additional schooling for the staff). So essentially it's money I get to spend on/for the kids and not have to worry about where it's comming from.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

After years I've finally got the center how I want it, and now hubby wants to relocate for his carrer (which on papaer is "sensible" as he can get far more work there, than working here, and he can bring in more cash than I can), however, that would mean leaving the center I built litterly outta the ground. Seems part of Mr fishy's wanting to move is that I've not changed my name (a name change after establishing a business etc. is a legal nightmare), he'd like me to sell out to my assistant (who wants to buy and can get funding), and reopen a new center after taking a year off and having a baby. I just don't know... at 24 with my husband's insurance money and my degree, I had plenty of time and energy (at least untill I realized I was pregnant) to buy land, supervise the center being built and plan for the opening (we opened when my son was 3 weeks old), I'm not sure where at 30 I'll find that energy (I suspect dropping 40 lbs would help mightily with that though). Still there is a huge need for good preschools, esp. that take at risk kids. Our other option is for hubby to work out there and fly home every week or two for a few days, which would only delay having to pick I think. I dunno for him it's rebuilding a city, but to me it's profiting off people who've lost everything, and we just can't seem to find that middle ground (at least he's looking at rebuilding cosy homes and communities, and not office high rises and luxury homes). He even promised to donate work to habitat for humanity if I'd consider the move.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i found a few sites to do the homeschooling for tabor on the lessons for him. so this is cool. but its still so something or another for me! i wish it all came in one downloadable thing! that would be cool! LOL i love all them recipes! we will have to try them! one by one. happy birthday bunny!! :'))
    tabor and i love to watch zombie movies! they are cool to watch!!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Med, silly me, I can't remember how old Tabor is, but here should give you something to start with. they have 1/10 the site (still more than 1 kid can burn thru in a year) as free samples, for $20 a year you can access 100% of the site and even have it custom build your worksheets etc. I used it for the preschool classes when I first started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ed helper

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Fishy, I just don't think you can possible commit to any decision until you tour New Orleans and the communities that are established and livable at this point. I can't remember if you two are going to go down there for a preview and if so when? Too many threads ago, the old memory is slipping! LOL! I think it would be admirable to set up schools down there as that is all I hear about is how badly the schools are behind in rebuilding. Adequate childcare must be at a minimum as well. It would all go to improving the community. If anyone is going to contribute to rebuilding, why not let it be from someone as conscientious as the two of you? I do remember Trina saying how uncomfortable it is there much of the year, but again, don't remember the particulars. Trina, pipe in here!!!! LOL

Fishy, you are making me look forward to Christmas already! LOL! I really like the ornament idea, maybe open up the old suggestion box for people of different faiths as well.

Alana, I am loving the finger recipe! Super creepy! Everyone has great ideas for Scary Treats! I may have to steal them all and have a party for the kids this year!

Becki, I used to love the caramel apples until my parents ran the Fall Festival's Cotton Candy booth for our parish when we were kids. That is what I made for the booth every morning before it opened up for the day! One year we ran out of them and I had to run home and hurry up and make another 6 dozen. The caramel was in 5 lb cans and had to be double boiled before dipping the apples. Go ahead and TRY to hurry along 5 lbs of caramel to soften up enough to dip apples into! LOL! The apples kept getting stuck in the caramel after I would dip them. I wanted to scream. After I finally finished them I went to the bathroom to wash up and then came back to see 1 full gigantic tray knocked onto the floor with our dog Freddie chomping and licking her way through one apple after the other! Groan! LOL!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

We're going to visit over the holidays, which is why I offered the holiday swap, I won't be baking/making dinner/ having inlaws visit/etc as I'll be traveling, so I'm pretty free or duties that month.

Sure there's ideas for those who don't do a tree, so far the consence seems to be either 1. christian or 2. puts up a tree anyways (I'm in #2 myself), if we need a #3 decor idea, chanukka, kawanzaa, ramadan, solstice we can work out something (snowmen, polar bears and peguins are pretty universal "winter" themes).

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Bunny!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I'm gonna take Tracy's advice, and be lazy today!!! :O)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hee hee hee,
    Love Ya!
    Tracy

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do you grow your own Jack 'O' Lanterns?
    Depending on which ones you grow, this is why using collected seeds may not be the best option:
    Pumpkins, squash and gourds are members of the vine crops called "cucurbits." There are four main species of Cucurbita usually included in the pumpkin, squash and gourd grouping. The varieties within a botanical species (which may be referred to as pumpkins, squash or gourd) can cross-pollinate. Varieties from different species do not. For example, zucchini crosses with Howden's Field pumpkin, acorn or spaghetti squash, small decorative gourds, or Jack-Be-Little miniature pumpkins because they are all members of the same botanical species (C. Pepo).

However, cross-pollination does not affect the taste, shape or color of the current season's fruit. Crosses show up only if seeds from these fruits are saved and grown the following year. Butternut squash, Small Sugar pumpkin, White Cushaw pumpkin, and Big Max pumpkin could all be grown in the same area without crossing because each variety comes from a different species. Because bees carry pollen for distances of a mile or more, in suburban areas where many gardens are in close proximity, fruits must be bagged and pollinated by hand if pure seed of non-hybrid varieties is desired.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Poison,
    You are amazing! That is great information! I just clipped it and saved it in my GW File. I have wondered about this as I am thinking of starting a pumpkin patch next year. I thought it would be great fun for the kids but we do have a neighbor a few doors down that grows many different types of squash. I won't be going to the trouble of bagging and pollinating myself but will be keeping your post for a reminder to just go ahead and buy the seeds every year, just in case I forget and i get the urge to collect on my own! Thank you! You're such a smarty!

Tracy

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the info, Alana! I am planning to grow pumpkins next year (hopefully, if we can find the room), so that is very helpful!!

Oh boy, girls! I am SO stupid!!! I think I totally crushed my husband last night, totally by accident. He decided to get on the computer last night, after I was asleep, and he got into my emails. Not good, since I haven't deleted anything in a few months. I had been emailing back and forth with someone here about some of our problems (very personal ones!) and stupidly didn't delete them!!! I don't know exactly what he read, but it probably wasn't totally kind, and I feel just awful now! (Something about little blue pills.) I was asleep when he came up to bed, but halfway woke up and said, "Did you find anything on ebay?", and then he said something I didn't really understand, and then he said, "I just love reading emails written about me." and nothing more. I didn't know what he was talking about and I said, "You mean mine?" And he didn't answer. All of a sudden I realized what he probably read, and feelings of guilt just flooded over me. I started crying and said, "I am so sorry." But, he didn't say anything else. I feel just awful! Not really about what I wrote, because that was me talking about "it" with a girlfriend (totally not unlike what I am pretty sure guys do with their friends.) But, I feel horrible that he read them. What a horrible wife I feel like right now! : (

• drippy
    16 years ago

Okay, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile - you guys all have such a great sense of humor - wish I could play, but I just can't right now. But Becki, after your last post, I felt the need to jump in.

It's taken me many years of being married to realize that some guys really DON'T talk about us and problems to their friends/brothers/dads the way we talk about them. As a GENERAL rule (definite exceptions on both sides), women tend to bounce things off each other more, men tend to keep them in. My husband always tells me he is working on "rising above it". From my point of view, I don't think they always rise above it - sometimes they just stew and carry grudges. The good news on that is that, too, seems to mellow out over time.

You can (rightfully) make a case that your husband had no right to read your email, but the point is, he did, and he's hurt. If he's the "strong, silent type" like mine, he's not going to want to talk right away, and if you're like me, you'll find that agonizing. I think they do this for two reasons - one, to process their feelings and respond only after they figure out how to act instead of react - this is good, and something we can actually learn from them! The second is, he may be using silence to punish you, or to gather ammunition for response - not such a good thing, and they'll never admit they're doing that! But usually it's a bit of both.

If you can, let him be. Go about your daily business, and don't act punished. He'll come around to talk on his own time, eventually. Then, this can be a great thing for your marriage. Clearly you have issues with him you felt necessary to discuss with your girlfriends (don't we all? :)) This will pave the way for discussing them with him. If you have tried in the past and he hasn't listened, point out exactly how you tried to discuss such issues with him, and how his not listening hurt you, and you felt the need to discuss them with someone else. Promise him that you will discuss all marriage issues with him first (then try to keep the promise!) if he promises he will genuinely try to hear what you're saying and maybe meet you halfway.

Good luck - bet this is a story you will be able to smile about and tell your kids about when they are all grown.

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Ok if I join in? One of the members here, tracyvine, said very nice things about the group in full. :)

I'd like to enjoy a swap that is filled with promise!

{{gwi:1299980}}

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

klickitat

We are happy to have you!

I was looking for some pumpkin carving patterns this morning and found a couple of tips I have not tried for making my Jack'O'Lanterns last longer.

Apply a light coating of petroleum jelly on the cuts. It will seal the wound and the pumpkin will last longer. After carving, place the pumpkin in a cool, dark place.

And, you can usually revive shriveled pumpkins by soaking them in a bucket of water.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

KLICK! You just put a huge smile on my face! I am so happy to see you come play with us!!!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Drippy, I couldn't agree with you more on pretty much all that you stated. I have a hubby that, when upset by me, he goes into the quiet mode. Come in and post anytime you like even if you can't play. You seem like a smart cookie, welcome here anytime!

Becki, Drippy is 100% right on everything she said. I think there is plenty of wisdom in all that she posted. Give him some space, go about your normal day, let him work through it. Ed is the strong silent type too, I have hurt his feelings in the past and me prodding him to "open up" usually resulted in ugliness instead of a productive conversation. Me leavig him alone to sort things out works out much better. Eventually there will be an opening from him and I just watch for it. Sending you hugs because I know you feel just awful. Squeeze!!!!

Poison: I like the vasseline sealant! Smart! iam wondering if a little lemon juice on the interior might help a little too?

Tracy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Wow, I can't wait until the boxes start flying! I have a feeling that there are gonna be some good ones!!!! :O)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi Ladies,
    Sorry haven't been around much lately. Last night buddy was doing homework on the computer.

WELCOME KLICKITAT!!!!

Drippy I agree with you 100%, mine is the very quiet type also.

Becki, sending big hugs your way. Don't beat yourself up over it sweetie, just give him time to absorb things and open up to things. Fox does the quiet thing for a couple days and I can't stand that cause Im a talker, a very impatient talker.

Smiles,
    Trina

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!

Melissa-Happy Belated Birthday! I was 29 until this past July when everyone told me I was 40. Boy how time flies!!

Becki-I feel for ya! I've messed up a few times myself, and it seems just like Drippy says, he would just come around on his own, no matter how much I talked. I hope it doens't take too long. Don't be too hard on yourself!

I can't wait for the boxes to start flying either!! (The mailman brought a little sumthin in the mail today) :) Its just waiting for a new home now!!

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Karen

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Thank you girls SO MUCH for the excellent advice!! Drippy, I think you hit it right on the head. When he came downstairs this morning, he really didn't talk to me - pretty much silence for about 45 minutes. Then he told me to go pick up the chicks that were at the post office in town, and when I got back, Lily was awake, and he was pretty much normal. I can't tell you how much I wanted to say something, but really didn't want to. Anyway, when he left to go to work, he even stopped and let me give him a kiss goodbye. So, things aren't all bad. Before he left we went out and picked peppers - we had a whole 5 gallon bucket full of green peppers! There are still lots more little ones on the plants too! This has been a phenominal year for peppers for us!! Very cool! So, anyway, I'll just wait and see what happens, but wait for him to bring it up. Thank you everyone! You are all so levelheaded and smart!!
    Becki

• drippy
    16 years ago

Wish I could grow peppers like that! Chiles do ok for me, but sweet peppers are few and far between - I could use a bit more sun and a longer growing season.

Glad your DH is not antagonistic, Becki - probably deep in his heart, he knows he has a part in it, but if he's anything like mine, he'd never admit it. My DH - and the "D" part sure changes from time to time! - has never, in his mind, been wrong in 28 years of marriage, LOL. That's ok, he'll get his - in his next incarnation, he's coming back as a woman, married to a man JUST LIKE HIM!!! :)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

OMG DRIPPY LMAOOOO CHOKED ON THAT ONE LMAO,..... COULD YOU IMAGINE OUR HUSBANDS COMING BACK AS A WOMAN MARRIED TO A MAN JUST LIKE THEY ARE???? SHEESH HMMM WOULD THAT BE PUNISHMENT OR PLEASURE????

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Punishment! Absolutely, punishment! LMBO! But they need to suffer from really bad PMS too. That would serve them right for any "time of the month" cracks they have ever made in their previous lives! LOL

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

I agree on them suffering the really bad PMS!!!!! Mine also needs to experince the joy of pushing a 9 pound baby out his woohoo. Without ANY meds!!!!(Belive me I didn't plan on no meds)
    Later....April/dirt_under_my_nails

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Drippy - we used Bonnie plants this year, and we have been thrilled with them. We planted 9, and they have produced fantastically! We also learned last year that not to ever fertilize them! Last year we used Miracle Grow on them, and they grew like crazy, but produced VERY FEW peppers!! But, the chiles and jalepenos did wonderfully - don't even know why we planted them last year, as we hardly eat them! Only sweets this year!

Well, hubby brought it up already at lunch today. He came home and I said something about getting some a new movie in the mail today, and he said, "Oh are you going to tell your girlfriends that I'm not going to watch it with you?" (like last week.) I said, "You TOLD me to tell them that!" And then he said, "Yeah, but I DIDN'T tell you to tell them about my personal life!", and I said, "Yeah, you're right, and I probably shouldn't have." End of discussion. Short and sweet. I don't know if that will be the end of it, but if it is, that wasn't too bad!

I just felt bad - I am one of the few people that puts up with my husband - around here especially (unlike on the east coast where he grew up), he usually feels like a bit of an outcast (he is very outspoken, and opinionated, and it doesn't sit well with most people.) So, for him to see me talking about him, I know, hurt. It's kind of always been "us against the world". Does that kind of make sense? We just kind of keep to ourselves, and keep things close to home. Well - he doesn't seem TOO terribly torn up about it, so I think it will all be okay. Thank you again everyone! I just REALLY love him, and hate that he knows I said anything that would embarrass him!

Yep, that would be good, to have them come back as women - way too good!!!!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Becki, hun what he's not grasping, is that it's not "his" personal life but BOTH of your love lifes (after all it's not like you can call in a "stunt man" for the scenes he bows out of). A general note on the little blue pill, men are hesitant to ask thier docs, hesitant to say things aren't working etc... then they get on it, and swear it's a life saver. Hmmm Hubby already is married to someone as strong and stubborn as he is, we just learned to talk it out (our "rule" is however cares about it the most gets to decide, what TV to buy, all his choice, where the kids go to school, my choice... what's for dinner, we never seem to figure that out till 5:30 anymore.) Regardless, he was snooping, and just like you should never as a question that you're not prepared for an honest answer, you shouldn't look unless you're prepared for those consequences (a password on email solves much here).

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

LMBO...our men as US. Oh, wow...I'd like to be a fly on the wall for THAT one!! :O)
    April- That's too funny! Men have NO concept of pain. None whatsoever. They whine when they get papercuts, for cryin' out loud!! LOL Although, I do have to give my hubby points. I've had all my kids at home, and he even delivered the 2 girls - no midwife - by himself...so he's pretty much seen labor turn things inside out. But he made a crack the other day...that I almost punched him for...(really should've now that I think about it...) He said..."oh, all you women do is cry and moan.."oh, I"m on my period..Oh, childbirth hurts so bad...blah blah blah"... GGGGRRR! I said..Oh yeah, buster?? You take what is SUPPOSED to be an 18 hour labor, and squish everything that happens during that time into 13 minutes, and you WILL FEEL PAIN!!!!! You have NEVER EXPERIENCED REAL PAIN UNTIL YOU SQUEEZE A WATERMELON OUT OF A CHERRY! So go sleep on the couch, buster!!!

LOL Yep, the kids thought that was REAL funny. Ha.

Ya know...I was reading about an epidural the other day, and I've heard women talk about how great they are..and I thought..."boy, it MIGHT be worth having another baby for, just to try one of those...see what all the fuss is about..." LOL Except they'd have to give it to me a month ahead of time, because my longest labor was 2 hours. Sounds great, but the downside of that is that I have a REALLY long recovery time. Like a month before I can move, or even roll over. Trust me when I say quick is not all it's cracked up to be!!!!

Becki- I am so glad you're feeling better! :O) I hope the rest of your day goes great for you!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I'm glad to hear he is saying something at least! Whew! Won't be opening a pressure cooker then. I hope it gets better quickly, I'm sure you will probably get a few more comments. When he starts to lighten up tell him to go to the dang doctor, he could have circulation issues that really need to get checked out. Some of those problems are directly related to poof blood flow. Not something to mess around with. Love you to death Becki, sending more hugs!

April: I vote for a 13 pound baby, cause you know they aren't brave enough to give birth more than once! lol!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

My blue pill taking hubby left for work with visable love bites up and down his shoulders, I offered to get down a turtle neck, and he said at 40 he's happy to have them, and left.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Labor went, it hurt, it hurts, it hurts, and I just don't care with the demerol, after the epi your body hips down goes numb and it is supposed to get easier (I did no pushing, both were C section, but I lied there while being dissected and guts opened). I can't even imagine having a baby at home with hubby's help (he nealy passed out when they put the epi needle in my spine, and he was supposed to be bracing ME for it). But I DID vomit all over my aniesthiologists shoe, when they tell you to look to the left, DO NOT LOOK RIGHT! there was the suction vaccumm thing with my blood/fluids, ick in it.

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome! And a big thanks to tracyvine for the encouragement to take a stab at RR exchanges again. :) The best part is I just received an enormous box of bulbs today in the mail, and will be thrilled to share some of them. What a fun swap this will be!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

ok lmao not to take away from childbirth here cause I went through 4 ala natural, no meds. Ask the hub if he wants to have a baby, then explain to him what Kidney stones feel like. Now for those of you that don't know what they are for men, they are about the size of a grain of sea salt/rock salt, if that big. I have gone through that experience with fox and of course I had to give him the "push push breathe" thing cause I am sorry that is the closest he will ever come to having a baby and they think they are dying??? I even named the "stone" lol "Sunshine", oh yes we got to keep it and every subsequent ones that followed that he "strained" out. (meaning he had to pixx in a strainer for two weeks afterwards to "catch" the other stones so they could be looked at.) Well sorry hubbies, that needs to be amplified by alot ALOT. Fox doesn't laugh at childbirth trust me lmao

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

He had kidney stones last summer, guess who got to call the ambulance because he thought his appendix burst?... twice.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, that's bad, Trina! Poor Fox! We haven't had to deal with that here, thank goodness!!! Okay, and those of you saying to talk to the doctor, well, that is what I am pretty sure the email he read was about. He had gone to the doctor, and while he was there, joked around with his doctor that his wife thought he needs the blue pill. The doctor asked if we were trying to have any more kids, and when he said no, the doctor I guess told him that if he keeps losing weight I'll think he's a new man! And I was SO pissed that the doctor didn't take his joking seriously!!! Isn't a doctor supposed to dig when someone mentions something like that lightheartedly??? But, please don't think I'm not getting any - it's not that bad - it just doesn't last! But, he certainly makes up for it, so I'm not complaining too badly! ; )

As far as childbirth, I've been both ways. I didn't want to have drugs with any of them, but I have trouble going into labor on my own. So, I have had 3 births with a pitocin drip. Yuck!! Once it starts working, it makes it fast and hard. With all three of them, I had some painkiller, something they put in the IV, to take the edge off - I don't remember what it's called. With William though, I did go into labor on my own. (Though the doctor says it was because he had checked my cervix that morning.) So, no pitocin, no pain meds. And he was almost 9 lbs. - 8 lbs. 15 oz. And I have to say - that was my easiest labor! Incredibly painful, but maneagable. OMG - when I had William, I have this funny memory! I tore like crazy when I had him. The next day when I went to go pee, I used the little squirt bottle that they tell you to use to clean yourself afterwards, and I accidentally touched myself. It felt like there was a ball down there - I was swelled up so huge!! That was one of the weirdest feelings ever!!!

Melissa - I don't know how you did that at home! We talked to a midwife when I was pregnant with Lily, but decided to stick with my doctor. But, on our own???? Scary! My mom said that her mom gave birth on their kitchen table - all 8 kids. And most of the time, the midwife didn't make it in time. She remembers her dad delivering her younger brothers and sisters. Wow - that is so cool Melissa!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths