SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hrallen44

Should I give up?

Georgia Zone 8a
7 years ago

I used to live in a much milder area (zone 6b) where I enjoyed growing tomatoes. To care for them, I gave them a quick hose soaking if they needed water, sprayed only rarely and as needed, and almost always harvested a decent amount of tomatoes.

I moved to Georgia (zone 8a) and did get started late (purchasing plants in early June) --3 varities, a hybrid determinate bush-type, an heirloom indeterminate type, and some hybrid cherries. Nothing esoteric.

Well, I've already had more pests here than I had in a single season up north, so I've moved to a strict weekly (or even bi-weekly depending on the issue) spraying schedule. Now I'm dealing with what I think is some sort of viral or bacterial issue on one of my plants (slow growing, but there nonetheless) and to add insult to injury, my tomatoes have had a lot of flowers and exactly..two fruits, which aren't even ripe yet. Don't get me started on my peppers.

Is there any point to even continuing? It's a lot more work than I expected, but I'd have no issue doing it for a good harvest (or a chance at one, anyway), but I think I'm swimming against the tide at this point.

The plants themselves do look somewhat healthy, minus the scars they received from their battles with pests (and the slow-growing virus/fungus.) But I look at the weather forecast and it's 95+ the next week, and we're not likely to see a significant break in the weather for a month or two.

The tomatoes do get a bit of a reprieve from the large tree planted to their west, which grants some afternoon shade, but....I dunno.

Suggestions for this year? Advice for next year?

Comments (17)