SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wunderlong88

Fire Ants (and a rant about bugs) - do they hurt the garden?

I live in an area with many, many fire ants. I have one colony that has taken up residence in my new garden in one of my raised beds. I put dry molasses on it and they moved about 2 feet. I have dried molasses spread throughout all the beds but that didn't matter.

I see fire ants throughout the garden and in an older plot I had planted squash, tomatoes and cantaloupe earlier in the season. These are all just beginning to produce and I see fire ants crawling all of them.

I want to get the mound out of the garden so I don't get into them. Any ideas how to do this successfully without chemicals. I've read so many organic solutions and then also read so many saying they don't work. Not sure what to try.

Also, I probably will always have fire ants coming around crawling on the plants. Are they damaging something? I read they like eggplant (which I want to grow successfully). I don't know how to keep them from harming the eggplant or anything else that I need to keep them from.

I have 25 acres surrounded by about 1500 that is undeveloped (i.e. unmowed and very full of insects and weeds). Although we mow 5 of our 25 I fight every kind of insect. So far my squash has had aphids, mealy bugs, fire ants, squash bugs (only one, that I've found), blister bugs. I've successfully gotten rid of the squash and blister bugs. I still have lots of aphids and mealy bugs (I've sprayed orange oil, neem, put out DE with no success. I haven't seen ants on the squash since I put out the DE) Although my one squash plant is producing and outpacing them from what I can tell. The mealy bugs and aphids don't bother the zucchinni that is right next to the yellow squash.

So, to get to the point:

How do I get rid of the fire ant colony (organically)?

Do I need to get rid of the fire ants that are just out crawling on all my vegetable plants? And if so is there another way than the DE (which appears to have helped). I water a lot in 100+ degree Texas and don't want to have to reapply DE all the time.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer