SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

wooley aphids and fire ants

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
14 years ago

I don't read anything about these critters, and for the second year I have had a problem with wooley aphids. I called the Master Gardener and also wrote, and received a response that was less than what I expected. I should think that someone would try to give us more information.

Wooley aphids are part of the category of Asian Hackberry wooley aphids. Mine would be Oklahoma Sugar Maple wooley aphids. Wooley aphids are white, and they fly. They swarm around their tree and blacken the leaves and all the ground and leaves under the tree - like rose leaves. The black is mold from their dew.

A special type of lady bug follows these white aphids, and they become so prolific that they coat benches, chairs and pots. Great!! Big white wooley aphids that attack your neck and hair and go down the back of your shirt. These are followed by the good guys - lady bugs that also bite, and there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Now this year besides a huge supply of ants, I got a fire ant bite. Ants protect the aphids that create the dew. Lady bugs fight the aphids.

None of this surprises the Master Gardeners. This is nothing new. Many people have the wooley aphids, and you can spray them with water, chemicals, or oils. (How high does your hose go??? These are way up in the tree. All the leaves become blackened.) Also fire ants in Tulsa are nothing new too. What???? I have not been reading about fire ants.

I have never heard of this problem before last year, and the fact that they are back this year pleases me even less. I hope none of you have it, but if you do see some innocent looking aphids flying around, look for the ants, and put out baits or something before it gets too bad.

We will probably have the Sugar Maple taken out. All of this is far too close to our house.

I am in a rush this morning since I must get to work. I hope maybe I have helped someone, and I wonder if we have other numbers where we can get help besides the Master Gardeners. It seems like other states have a University site where there is a huge amount of inormation. I have not tried OSU, and have not looked for such a site, but these aphids for the second year have ruined the looks of so many roses, and have caused them to become infested with ants -- and lady bugs.

I would like to hear from someone here who also has had these critters, and wonder what you do. Also, I had a warning from a "forumer" on the Rose Forum that the fire ants can become very dangerous, and we need to know what emergency room is prepared to handle a bad reaction to the bite.

Sammy

Comment (1)