SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

So does anyone here have an Instant Pot?

lkplatow
7 years ago

I succumbed to the Amazon Prime Day deal and am now the proud owner of an Instant Pot. Before ordering, I thought I had done my research...."cook chicken in 10 minutes!" "Cook basmati rice in 4-8 minutes". Awesome -- I am the type of person who, in spite of my best intentions, finds myself with nothing defrosted and no dinner planned at 5:30....so I figured anything that could cook fast would be great.

Only now that I've opened it and am reading the instructions, it seems there's a catch. The pot needs to "come to temperature" before the actual cooking time starts. According to the manual, coming to temperature can take anywhere from 10-40 minutes depending on the type of food that's in there. And then you have to let the steam "natural release" for 10-15 minutes afterwards. So suddenly my magical basmati rice in 4 minutes becomes basmati rice in 24 minutes minimum. That's no better than I can do on the stovetop, so I'm not gaining anything.

I feel almost lied to and am seriously thinking about sending this thing back.....especially considering it is huge and takes up an entire shelf in my kitchen cabinets. When I look online, people seem to LOVE this thing and rave about how much time it saves.....so what am I missing??????

Comments (10)