SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Where do you buy your STPP from?

mamapinky0
7 years ago

Now that Dafna has closed I need to find another source. A safe online source. I was thinking The Chem Store?

Now that were knee deep into summer my laundry will benefit from some phosphates, but my dishwasher needs it even more lol..Thanks

Comments (44)

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

I have been using STPP mixed with current 2016 Cascade Complete dishwasher powder and making my own MamaP's vintage Cascade powder. It works amazingly well. Dishes are sparkling, smooth, silky, clean and my machine looks polished inside.

I do not remember the last time I added any to my laundry, when I use Tide or a pod (out of pods currently).

But I have found buying Bubble Bandit powder laundry detergent on Amazon to be better than adding STPP to non-phosphated detergents. BB detergent works and smells amazing!

The last time I bought STPP, I ordered food grade on Amazon. It was Belgian and expensive...but the quality and packaging are great!

mamapinky0 thanked larsi_gw
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank You Larsi..yes I always add STPP to modern day non-phosphated dishwasher detergent, my old machine HAS to have it.

The BB laundry detergent that you sent me (Thank You) is great but needs to be used only in heavily soiled loads, for me at least, or it suds up a LOT, and I'm not affraid of a few suds LOL.

Tideman sent me BB dishwasher detergent and its amazing, I'd rather not order these two products since ordering the STPP and mixing my own is more budget friendly for me and has always worked great.

I will possiably order from The Chem Store as they have a great rep and sell in reasonable sizes...10# for around 25$ which will last a very long time now that I have a FL. I used to order 20# for 40$ from Dafna.

Thanks Larsi xoxo

• Related Discussions

Where do you buy your hosta?

Q

Comments (10)
    he is talking about hosta virus x(hvx), which appeared at retail outlets several years ago. it manifests some symptoms that are visible in the progressed stage such as the "bleeding" term. you don't want to introduce the virus to your hosta population so would be wise to look closely at them before purchasing. more information at the link below if you navigate to that particular section. i saw (what i think was) so much of it at one of our local stores that i called the ala. dept. of agriculture and industries about it. they did meet me there and he told me they would pull the plants from the shelves. that was a few years back. on a side note, we (he) noticed that they were also selling the new dark-leaved mimosa cultivar 'summer chocolate'. this is a plant that is a exotic invasive pest in our area. i left while he pursued the garden center manager and they were gone by my next visit, either removed or sold. Here is a link that might be useful: hosta library
    ...See More

Where do you buy your garlic for planting?

Q

Comments (18)
    Since garlic doesn't take up much room, I stick leftover cloves everywhere throughout the year. Sometimes I find the cloves still unsprouted weeks later when I dig a hole in the same spot for some other reason. I just poke them in somewhere else, knowing they'll start pumping out lush green shoots in their own sweet time. I do the random stick-it with all sorts of things besides garlic and more often than not, get great results. My best container right now holds an eggplant, a pepper, garlic, and some blue-flowering vine that broke off another plant. This started out as a pot of calendula, but it was too beastly hot to plant the pepper and eggplant on the day the seeds arrived,so I stuck one of each in the pot and forgot all about them. I think I added the garlic on the day I transplanted the calendula to a permanent bed. The vine is a johnny-come-lately, but they all seem to be very happy together. Of course, I sometimes end up with something like puce and orange flowers in in the same pot, but it's never anything that a quick transplant job can't fix. Anyway, sorry for the thread drift. Yes, I use grocery store garlic, and don't do anything special other than try to remember to set the cloves pointy side up. J.
    ...See More

Where do you buy your Fortex seeds?

Q

Comments (4)
    I orderd mine online from BURPEE. As far as I know you have to order them,I have never seen them in a store.Fortex is a bit more exspensive than others.
    ...See More

Where do you buy your AV leaves from?

Q

Comments (6)
    Id love to go to a show. Never was in an area or close enough to attend one. Now I'm living in South Korea and trying to grow a new collection up. (Left my collection back with family in the states) Does The Violet Barn sell leaves? I ordered a plant from there a few weeks ago. It wasn't potted and didn't have any roots. It arrived in great shape for the amount of traveling it did. Waiting now for it to root. Makes since why I haven't seen any babies! I covered them up. It's so humid in South Korea that the soil was perfectly damp and didn't need to be covered. Stay damp for a good week/week and a half.
    ...See More
  • georgect
    7 years ago

I'm still getting it from Amazon - Pro Supply Outlet.

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

Pro Supply Outlet's price is cheaper on Bonanza than their Amazon price. The prices for 10#'s are:

$41.53 w/ free shipping on Bonanza.

$41.95 plus $4.49 shipping if you order from them thru Amazon.

You can use Paypal on Bonanza.

• A J
    7 years ago

Newbie here! Was looking for the STPP on Amazon is this the same as TSP? I would like to try adding a bit to my whites as my hubby is oily (his words not mine)!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No don't use TSP .

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

AJ.. the TSP is a phosphate but its not a complex phosphate and would not preform the same

• A J
    7 years ago

Thanks Mama, so I am now trying to decide, should I buy the STPP and mix it OR just give some of these other detergents a try that you all mention. I see myself starting a laundry room stash!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Correct ratios for mixing is 1 part STPP to 2 parts detergent by weight, however I don't weigh..I just mix 1 cup stpp to 2 cups detergent. ...also just mix up small batches that way you have stpp left to mix with more detergents that you buy. ....if lets say your using a FL washer and you normally add 2T detergent..I'd start with the same..if you see a lot of suds you can cut back but it could be because stpp will strip all detergent residue out of clothes. If you buy stpp..take a load of clean clothes and wash them using only stpp..look for suds or milky water..stpp does not suds..if you see any its detergent residue. .this stuff is great for stripping residue.

In the wash it softens water, boosts detergent. .holds soils detergents ect in suspension and prevents it from depositing back on clothes.

Have issues with your dishwasher not cleaning things as well as it should..add STPP along with your detergent. .sparkling clean dishes and dishwasher.

There's not a single product that I know of that can do everything STPP does.

As far as liquid detergent...you can not premix with liquids. ..never let your stpp get wet or damp..keep it in airtight containers. Let us know if you order.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

I also use food grade STPP by Lifeline nutrients. This the one from Amazon that I use.

• A J
    7 years ago

@homepro01 that was the one I was looking at. Thanks!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just so your aware you don't have to use food grade for laundry. ..food grade is used for fish, toothpaste, ect. P&G didn't use food grade in their detergents.

• hisown
    7 years ago

Ebay has pretty good prices on STPP. Lifeline Nutrients had the best price last time I looked.

• A J
    7 years ago

I ordered some from Bonanza, Pro Supply. I will report back when I get it and try it!

• Laundry Mich
    7 years ago

I've tried a newer bottle of Tide HE Turbo, and I found the lack of suds almost frightening.

Using the same line one, as previously dosed with older bottles, I think the clothes don't come out as clean. It seems like this stuff is just not as concentrated... Which is disappointing.

Maybe it's just me. On the bright side, you can finally pour more to get through a bottle ;)

• 36vintage
    7 years ago

Any ideas on how much STPP to use on a dishwasher? especially for something like Finish All in 1 tabs; or even powder if I can find any. Finally decided on STPP to help clean the coffee/tea stains on the mugs.

Did read a 2 to 1 ratio for laundry so that's OK.

I had bought a 5 lb package of STPP locally; found the place by Google with "STPP chemical in (zipcode)"; a 20 min drive & $2.30/lb.

The place is also a chemical supplier for cleaning pools; your local pool cleaning store may carry STPP, buy haven't tried it.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

Chlorine bleach may work better on dishware tea/coffee stains than STPP. I added STPP to non-phosphate dishwasher powder for a while, which didn't have an appreciable effect on tea-stained plastic pitchers or tomato-stained plastic containers. The stains disappeared when I began using a commercial dishwasher powder that contains bleach (and phosphates).

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

I can't find the Chem Store on Amazon today. Where is it? And mama, where are you getting $25 for 10 lbs.? I can't find that at all. I'm not out yet, but I feel antsy no knowing where my next supply will come from.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

Amazon? Why is everyone so hot after Amazon? The Chemistry Store has their own web site. I've been buying STPP from there for 8 years.
    STPP @ ChemistryStore.com

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Price

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

I just checked the Chemistry Store. Shipping of 10 lbs. to me is $18. That makes 10 lbs. cost over $40 instead of $25. I used Amazon Prime before for free shipping from Dafna.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wouldn't ordering directly from company be cheaper since your cutting out the middle man?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Debbi..thanks..I didn't know about the shipping lol

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Not with the company's shipping price. This is why I pay for Amazon Prime - so I can get free shipping! Is Dafna gone forever? Last I emailed them, they were "reorganizing."

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They told me that they would like to reopen someday but don't know when or even if that will happen.

• a1an
    7 years ago

Don't use STTP but do use Sodium Percarb. Stored the volume in various ~juice gallon jugs~.

Here's my take when buying this stuff in bulk.

To a certain degree, there is a certain life-span on these, so don't buy too much. The storage of my sodium percarb sure seems to reinfoce this. Over time, these bottles will BULGE out, as some weird gas is expelling from the product.

I thought it was odd when the bottles bulged, but when I checked all my bottles, they all bulge. When you release the cap, there is a ~whoosh~ of air that is released. And even doing that, and let's say 6 months later....the bottles bulge back out again.

So keep that in mind, when you guys buy in ~bulk~

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is there any moisture in your juice jugs?

• a1an
    7 years ago

Bone Dry when I put them in. Bone dry during storage..

Granted, I can't comment about STTP as I don't use that. But this has been my oberservation with Sodium Precarb.....I've got at least a couple 64 juice containers with this inside our laundry cabs and I'm fairly certain if I was to check them now, they will be ~bulging~ with some gaseous air inside.

I only post this just to say hey fellow GW'ers. Don't go crazy hoarding on the stashed. They only have a 'finite life to them, even when stored.

I've got some other products I keep that I've been vac sealed bags but over the last couple of years, I've stopped buying in bulk bags recognizing that to a certain degree, while it's cheaper in bulk, I would rather have a ~fresh product~ that is effective as designed...

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I only buy Sodium percarbonate by the 5# as I've found if I'm using Tide with Bleach powder or Persil Pearls I don't need the stuff, its already in these products. I do think your right about sodium percarbonate having a shorter shelf life. ..STPP will keep for many years as long as zero moisture and that encludes humid conditions get to it. I know some people keep their bulk supply of STPP in a laundry room, which I think isn't a good place. Same goes for bulk supplies of powder detergent, its gotta be kept away from moisture and light if its gonna stay stable.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

When buying from Chemistry Store, shipping is a smaller proportion of the total if you order more at a time. And the per-pound price isn't much less for larger package sizes, so you could buy, say, four 5 lb pails instead of two 10 lb pails. That way your supply stays factory-sealed longer. And you get more of their sturdy pails.

• a1an
    7 years ago

FWIW, these came to light now only due to the Sodium Precard but also the DW powder I've been using. I've experimented alot, and when I use some older pods (Somat shipped from overseas) that might be hitting the 3 year mark since they were delivered, they did clean as efficiently as when they were ~fresh~.

2 smaller buckets versus 1. Regardless, I think we all benefit from a fresher supply versus a less stale product, given X product and whether or not there is a shelf life to it.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree unless there's a risk of a specific product being discontinued or banned. In regards to STPP we never know if someone yells loud enough that it becomes unavailable to consumers.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For instance..there's a member here that gets great results with Sears branded detergents, and in light of the condition Sears has made of itself who know how much longer Sears will be around to produce this detergent, so the member has been stock piling it, perfectly ok in my book as long as its kept out of the light and dampness otherwise its just a waste of money and space. Look what happened to Cascade with phosphates.

Fresh is better but not always a safe bet you will find it when you need it.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Another thing I thought of LOL...I wonder how many people are stock piling STPP but storing it the wrong way...it will decompose into TSP if kept in the wrong enviornment.

• a1an
    7 years ago

Off topic or on....

Thinking off the top of my head. Currently, the only thing I do hoard chemical wise is brake cleaner and about 2 dozen spray bottles of Dawn Power Dissolver. Power Dissolver if I recall got pulled off the shelves due to epa laws....

I use it after a heavy bbq party, or when I want to get some carbon/grease off.....like around the pot handles and such. I've stopped putting P&P in the DW due to the newer formulations eating away at the alum. core. I will put the lids in the DW and my Demeyere stuff that is encapsulated.

Brake cleaner *the good stuff*, I always try to keep at least a dozen on the shelf. Might be like the Dawn and one day, the EPA laws won't let me get the good stuff.

• 36vintage
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Forgot to mention where I got mine.

For people in northern Calif:

Since 1946

Sierra Chemical Company

788 Northport Dr.

W. Sacramento, CA 95691

Phone: 916-371-5943

Small Business Enterprise

is where I got my STPP. SF Bay Area folks can stop by on weekdays on/from the way to Lake Tahoe easily; check the maps. Don't think they do mail order but don't really know & their website is very bad unless stuff shows up using Adobe Flash. Even saw a Yelp page for it!

• Laundry Mich
    7 years ago

WAIT.. WHAT? THOSE LUNATICS GOT RID OF DAWN POWER DISSOLVER????

Oh... if that is true. Words can't describe how pissed off I am. That was one of the few things that'd remove long stuck-on, burnt-on residue from Pyrex & Corningware. And as someone who collects the stuff, I want to make sure every piece is perfectly polished and shiny, like new.

I'll say this. If you find "Dawn Grill Cleaner" it's the exact same product. No change whatsoever in ingredients. I've found it at Lowes, a few times. But.. I haven't seen Dawn Power Dissolver for the better half of two years. I think I've run out of my one little bottle I had :(

I swear... stuff like this makes me want to vote republican.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha Mich...listen somewhere on Printerest there is a recipe for making your own Dawn Power Dissolver..its supposed to be so good its touted as being magical. Mich I love Corning Ware and I have a lot of it. I have one...2 quart casserole that looks like it was scratched with a fork..I can't get the marks off and its driving me nuts maybe I should make the copycat Dawn Power Dissolver LOL

• Harlow
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I admit, MamaP got me hooked on phosphates in my laundry. My 20lb Dafna bag is almost gone, and I am in a panic! I haven't found as good a deal anywhere, and now I am kicking myself for not buying multiple bags!!! Keep me posted MamaP when you find a new vendor for that addictive white powder!

NOTHING gets my laundry cleaner!

• Laundry Mich
    7 years ago

@mamapinky0, it'll take a while but you should look out for this exact sponge. I happen to be able to find them at Target, and Dollar General. But you may be able to find it at Wal-Mart in some areas.

This sponge, when mixed with the Liquid Bar Keepers Friend is the secret answer to removing the grey little scratch marks from Pyroceram Corningware. It takes a little bit of effort, but you'll start to see the marks start to fade and then eventually vanish ;)

Obviously, a few of us may have a bit of too much time on our hands.

And I'm a huge fan of vintage, and only vintage Corningware. The new stuff made today, is absolute Junk and pails so much in comparison.

• Laundry Mich
    7 years ago

And before I forget.... NEVER EVER, EVER USE A BRILLO PAD or Any SPONGE that is abrasive on Vintage Corningware. It will take away the shine & luster. Really, people probably shouldn't use those same sponges on much of anything, but.. definitely not corningware.

• Laundry Mich
    7 years ago

@mamapinky0, I just googled and found a search result on Pinterest. Needless to say, I wouldn't keep my hopes up for a solution containing Vinegar & Fabric Softener. I swear... one of these days we're going to hear a story about a mother who blew herself up following some recipe on that site.

The Real Dawn Power Dissolver was a strong, Proprietary Blend of Alcohol Derivatives called Ethoxylates. And when combined with a mild-acid, the product worked absolute wonders on anything grease or grime, all while having no horrific fumes.

For me anyway, it was a miracle product for cleaning certain pans, and other things like my Corningware Collection. ;). It simply worked, and it truly was a "miracle" product. It'd put "Easy-Off" to shame... if you used it to clean a oven, and you didn't feel worried around it.

It's my understanding.. you can purchase a case of it, under their Commercial Line.. but, I really prefered picking up single bottles for $2-3 at my local Supermarket, or Wal-Mart.

I'm serious.. when I say, I'm pissed if the EPA truly had a involvement here. They can overstep into Consumer Lives, but they still can't figure out how Al-Gore house uses twenty-times more energy than the average american household. Or why certain lakes & rivers haven't significantly improved, like promised... after removing processing agents & ingredients from household products. Such a total Waste!!!

mamapinky0 thanked Laundry Mich
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just found a source of STPP in Pittsburgh, walk in or online orders..I'd walk in. But 3.85 a pound..LOL..I will have to find out if they have cheaper rates on bulk orders.