SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bittenkitten

Low-growing, drought-resistant groundcover for full sun, zone 7B

bittenkitten
7 years ago

Hello there,

I'm trying to find an alternative to the tall fescue that is the primary choice of lawn groundcover here north of Charlotte, NC. I am looking for something that doesn't need as much mowing as grass does, something that is hardy (I have two young children and a female dog) and something that will grow in full sunlight. Daily watering (until established, if needed, or even beyond) isn't a problem, as we have a well, but I'd ideally like something that won't have to be mowed often.

I'm leaning towards silver carpet. Will it grow in the reddish soil we have here? I was thinking of micro clover, but I don't know if it would do very well in full sunlight. I can't do wildflowers all over because though I would love to offer bees a happy place, I can't do that with my groundcover because of the kids.

I'd love your suggestions, and also your thoughts on where to source the seed (sod is beyond our budget currently) and how to prepare my lawn. I've attached a photo of our poor lawn as it is at the moment—we just moved in in April.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (4)

Sponsored