SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hrm11

Struggling Philodendron Xanadu

hrm11
7 years ago

Hi all! I received a large Philo Xanadu back in February. It's been struggling ever since. I overwatered it for a few weeks before realizing I needed to scale back to roughly once every 2-3 weeks. It's in a corner next to a window where it receives some direct light in the afternoon, otherwise it's indirect light. Maybe two months ago I discovered a scale infection and have been battling it since (dabbing them with alcohol, as well as spraying a mixture of alcohol/vegetable oil/dish soap). I still found a couple last week but it seems to be much improved. My major concern is that probably 5-10 stalks drop every week!! Sometimes the leaf yellows, but other times the leaf stays healthy in appearance and just begins drooping and within a couple days the whole stalk just falls to the ground. You'll see from the photos that the base of the dropped stalks looks kind of rotted and squishy, but I'm confused as to how to could be rot when I water this plant so infrequently? It's very fast draining soil - water runs through it very quickly and I always remove the excess water that collects in the dish. I don't know what type of soil since it's still in the grow pot it was given to me in. The last confusing part is that there's lots of new growth, so it seems the plant isn't completely miserable.

Feeling like I've done poorly by this beautiful plant, can anyone help?

it used to be so much more full and thick!

you can see the new growth above

example of a yellowing leaf, the whole thing will drop within a day or two

rotted stalk that dropped

Comments (8)