SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfeathersmith

Help w/overwatered philodendron xanadu

J Feathersmith
8 years ago

So I have this plant. It was really lovely when I got it a few months ago. Based on everything I've read over the past few weeks, I am pretty sure I over watered it, and it's now lost most of its foliage; I'm also concerned at least part of one of the crowns has rot in it. I've been keeping it on the floor about 3-4 feet from a south-facing window; it's a bright area, but it gets very little direct sunlight . . . and for the last month+, it's been pretty overcast here, which is what I have to look forward to until April. Or May. Or maybe June.

House plants · More Info
When I got it, it was in a 6-in pot, and when I watered it - fairly sparingly - the water would run straight out the bottom, which made me worry the pot wasn't retaining any meaningful amount of water. The plant seemed to be so rootbound, and/or the soil so compacted, that I couldn't get a finger into the soil deeply to tell how wet it was staying. So (and I know now this was a mistake), I would pour the water from the saucer back into the pot, and it would retain most of that.

It seemed happy - put out a couple new leaves.

Then I got to thinking that it ought to be repotted, since it seemed to be rootbound and all. So I put it into the pot it is now in (8 inches) with the soil I had on hand, teasing the roots out a little bit (they were really wrapped around and around inside the old pot, with chunks of bark and the rest of the old soil all in the middle of the rootball), and gave it a really good soaking, since that's what you do when you repot, right? I think even before I did that, some of the leaves were slowly yellowing and falling off, and when I repotted it, some of the healthy-looking leaves just fell right off. After the repotting, more yellowing, more foliage loss . . . and the soil just did not dry out, and by then I knew from more reading that the plant probably really really did not like that.

After 2 or 3 weeks, I asked at the local nursery about what soil was best for philodendrons, and the guy said pretty much any kind, except one that really retained moisture, like a cocoblend. Well of course that's what I'd repotted it with. So I bought some plain old potting soil, mixed it up with a few handfuls of perlite (which I know now was probably pointless), and repotted it again, after removing the cocoblend and even more of the original soil (I hadn't completely removed it during the 1st repotting). I also loosened up the roots more. That was about 2 weeks ago, and it's continued to lose foliage. It's lost leaves 3 ways:

- gradually turn yellow and fall off

- stems droop suddenly, may or may not fall off

- healthy looking leaves suddenly fall if jostled

I noticed this weekend that part of one of the surface roots was soft, and when I checked again this evening, it was even worse. I cut it off close to the crown, and pulled out the rest of the root - however, most of its length felt solid, it was only really soft right next to the crown. So I'm not sure where the rot started from :( I haven't pulled the plant out and cleaned off all the soil to track it down. Yet. (And I stuck the last few inches of the root into another pot, just to see if it might start another plant. Nothing to lose.) A bit of the crown feels soft, too. The newly-cut root is on the left next to the stem; on the right is an older cut area with rougher surface - looked like the plant had been trimmed before I got it - and I can compress it if I push on it.

House plants · More Info

So I'm wondering if I should try to cut off all the soft-feeling area of this crown, so the rot doesn't spread too far. There is another big root attached to this crown that still feels good, though I haven't unpotted it to check its overall health (i.e., does it have small roots off it).

The other crown, on the left below, does have a new leaf coming up, and the big root feels solid (though I haven't unpotted it to check the whole thing), so I'm hopeful for the plant's ability to perhaps survive all this IF I give it the right conditions from now on.

House plants · More Info

The old soil had a lot of this fibrous stuff, that you can see between the root and the pot edge in it; I pulled some out in the process of checking the soil under the crown this evening:

House plants · More Info

When I was inspecting it this evening, I found that the soil right up under the crown is fairly damp, though it's been over a week since I gave it any water, and the rest of the pot is nearly dry to a few inches - the damp stuff is mostly the oldest soil, which also had big chunks of bark, and little other than bark, in it deeper down.

So. Other than NOT overwatering it further, what can I do to help it survive?

Would it be a good idea or a terrible one to repot it again in a grittier mix? I know it's not the best time of year for this, and the plant is already stressed, but if it keeps staying too damp . . .

Should I attempt to separate the two crowns into two plants, to make sure no bit of rot spreads from the one to the other?

Thanks!

Comments (4)