SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samanthaparsonslang

Not comfortable with Inlaws babysitting

Lydia
7 years ago

I am a parent of three children; aged 7, 5, and 2 months old. We have always lived approximately 4 hours or more away from my inlaws (their paternal grandparents). With this being said, I have always tried to include them; we visit during the holidays, and throughout the year on average every 2-3 months for a full weekend (staying with them versus in a nearby hotel).

I also go "out-of-my-way" to send a monthly snap shot of what the kids are up to. It has 4 subdivided sections like a newspaper, each column identifying a child and what accomplishments they've had, changes in behaviour/what we are working on, or simply just what they are interested in (the 4th column is family news/family outings worth mentioning etc). I thought this would be a great way for grandparents to feel involved where the distance would limit them in being notified of smaller accomplishments (i.e. a child learning to read/ride bike/tie shoes/et cetera.

With all of the above in mind, my inlaws have never respected that my Husband and I are the parents; they have been trying to make plans for our children without consulting us time and time again. As a few examples, they tried to (at the last minute) tell us they would be the ones watching our children for our Jack N' Jill, an event that us, as bride and groom would have to be in attendance and as such had arranged child care MONTHS before, and we were rude by doing so of course. They tried to tell us who would stand for our children in a baptism ceremony, though they never asked if we intended to baptize our kids (which we did not do), and various other things of similar like throughout the years.

They are now pushing to have our children for a week in the summer time (as my newspaper monthly snap shots have indicated they are at an age where they have been invited to birthday party sleepovers, and that we have had babysitters in our area - a new location, lived here 2 years now), they are greatly offended that we will not send them for the week and dont understand why "strangers can babysit, but we cannot". When we flat out told them we werent comfortable they pushed further saying who is allowed to babysit and that they have known kids since birth etc.

Am I wrong to feel that I cannot trust my inlaws when they have done nothing but disrespect us as the childrens parents from Day One? I dont understand how they expect us to have such a negative relationship yet just pass our kids over to them (being 4+ hours away) for a weeks time.. Any suggestions or thoughts/opinions would be great.

Comments (10)

Sponsored