SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
interrobanged

What to do about a really, really crappy side yard?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So I'm just not sure what to do about one of our side yards. Our house backs up to a conservancy and there are tons of very mature, tall trees all around the house; consequently, that side yard gets partial sun at BEST. It doesn't appear that any owner has ever really cared for the yard (or at least not that I can tell) so tons of weeds grow there, grass really doesn't establish itself, and it looks really crappy. I'm in Wisconsin, Zone 5.

Has anyone dealt with this? It's a pretty large expanse of land and I'm just not sure what to do with it. I doubt grass will ever grow there because of the lighting conditions. If I could get a ground cover (vinca?) to establish itself, that would be phenomenal. But the issue is that there are SO many weeds and junks plants in there that I think they would just kill the ground cover before it could really do anything.

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful. I don't necessarily want a lawn there but I do want it to look at least put together and not like we don't care about the yard (which is how it currently looks). Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022