SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamafolcker_gw

Newly Built Home = Crappy Yard

Mamafolcker
9 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum.

My husband and I just moved into a new home that was built roughly one year ago. So as you can imagine, the yard was just one big pile of dirt, mud, and clay.

So here we are a year later, and into our new home for a month now. The house... is amazing. Truly! Our dream home. The yard however, is less than desirable.

I don't know how much of it is *actually* grass verses weeds (probably 75% weeds, seriously), and it's a hot mess. Here we are, in the middle of July though- so what the heck can I do? I don't even know where/when to begin other than I've been yanking the big weeds by hand.

All I can tell you is that I very badly want soft soft soft grass! I'm in Northern Kentucky, where my "soil" is basically all clay and shale. Our old home (also in NKY) had very thick, very green grass but it was not soft and definitely not something we wanted to walk on barefoot.

I'm well aware that it takes a handful of years to establish a gorgeous yard and then clearly will have to maintain that, so I know there are no quick easy fixes. But a starting point would be lovely :)

I guess it's good to mention that we usually have a yard service that comes out every few months to do treatments and such. We plan on doing that as well, but since this is going to be our "forever" home, I really wanted to start learning about how all of this works and start having more of a green thumb :)

Thanks ya'll!

Comments (9)