SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Whitney Gardens

Although located in relative close proximity to my area, I have never - before yesterday - visited Whitney Gardens. Rhododendrons are ubiquitous in the PNW and just about any decent retail nursery will carry a pretty wide selection in early spring, but supplies are iffy at this time of year. I am just finishing up a new construction landscape design and the owners wanted a LOT of rhodies so a field trip to Whitney was called for!!

First let me say this nursery is not convenient to anything!! It is located on the west side of Hood Canal on the edge of the Olympic National forest and is miles/hours away from any metropolitan area. Definitely a destination nursery as it is well off the beaten track - a good half hour drive (or more) to even any supermarket!! I am kind of amazed it has flourished for so long (61 years!!) so remotely when other retail nurseries and garden centers often struggle in much more proximate suburban areas. I'm sure it is a testament to the quality and variety of their plants and their excellent customer service.

The display gardens were amazing. Although well past the bloom period for 99% of the rhodies, including many that tower 15-20 feet tall, it featured all manner of other trees and shrubs, including the largest Oxydendrum I have ever seen, currently in full bloom. Also a stunning mature 'Esk Sunset' maple. I will definitely make the trek back during bloom season to enjoy the display, which I can only imagine is stunning.

The nursery itself covers nearly 6 acres, much of which is devoted to rhodies and azaleas, both field grown and in containers. And what a selection! Scores of modern hybrids (including many developed by the nursery) and a wide range of species. My clients were more concerned about foliage effect than flowers so viewing the plants out of their bloom cycle was probably more helpful than the distraction that would provide. We picked out over 2 dozen plants including a few yaks, neriiflorum hybrids and a sinogrande as well as several of the more common but very reliable standard garden hybrids.

btw, although it focuses on rhodies and azaleas, this is a full service nursery, offering a wide range of trees, shrubs and perennials. Everything was very well cared for and extremely healthy and seemed to be manned primarily by just a few females, including Ellie Whitney, a charming lady of mature years who is fit, active and a wealth of information! What a great visit!! I will definitely be back :-)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery