SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Insects In The Garden Are Not A Reason To Panic

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

Good morning, y'all,

It is that time of year again....the time when folks begin noticing increasing numbers of insects in their gardens and become overly concerned about their presence. There really is no reason to panic as most bugs are not destructive and many are helpful and beneficial in many ways.

Your entire landscape is an ecosystem. In every ecosystem you will have living organisms that are more helpful than others, and there will other living organisms that are more harmful than others. There are very few, though, that are a reason for serious concern. Some insects are both helpful and harmful.

In a healthy ecosystem, every insect you see is part of the food chain and, while some bugs undeniably cause damage to some garden plants, others are helpful in many ways. Your goal as a gardener is to create a healthy, thriving ecosystem where all your plants thrive and where birds, reptiles, insects and arachnids peacefully coexist.

Here's a example of a helpful garden visitor: the spider. Most spiders are helpful because they eat many, many other insects. Yet, I know a lot of people who fly into a tizzy when they see a spider. In a rural area like mine, you can have a million spiders an acre. I appreciate the spiders and need their help to control some of the undesirable insects. Having said that, we exterminate black widows and brown recluses when we find them here.

Many insects are beneficial, including lady bugs, green lacewings, bees, wasps, minute pirate bugs, flies, assasin beetles and ground beetles. Remember that earthworms are very helpful and really help improve your soil. Dragonflies, if you're lucky enough to have them, are incredibly beneficial. There are even beneficial mites that eat red spider mites and other harmful types of mites. In the case of mites, if you use a product to kill the red spider mites, it also will kill all your beneficial mites and then when the red spider mite population rebounds (as it always does), you'll have all bad mites and no good ones and a worse problem with mites than you saw initially.

Caterpillars, in general, can be annoying when they chew on your plant foliage, but most of them will not do enough damage to kill a plant. Oviously cutworms are an exception to that, and so are tomato hornworms, corn earworms and tomato fruitworms. Cabbage loopers and cabbage worms can cause irreversible damage to cole crops if they appear in large enough numbers.

Sometimes the solution to one bug issue is the arrival of another bug. For example, look at the ladybug-aphid connection. Ladybugs arrive in my garden normally 3 to 7 days after aphids arrive. Within a week I have ladybug larvae all over the place and no aphids. Isn't that cool? Parisitic wasps are another helpful insect. Many of them parisitize caterpillars by laying their eggs on them. After the young hatch from the eggs, they feed upon the caterpillars. This is great in the garden in terms of controlling harmful caterpillars, but of course, if you are a butterfly gardener, you wouldn't appreciate the parisitic wasps.

In a healthy ecosystem, you'll have enough of the good bugs to keep the bag bugs under control. Problems arise, though, if you use a broad-spectrum pesticide in your landscape because it will kill off all the good bugs along with the bad ones. Because bad bugs bounce back first, you then end up with a larger population of bad bugs than you started with because you have no good bugs to keep the bad ones under control. To avoid this, you can use biological products that target a specific pest insect...for example, Bt 'kurstaki' for caterpillars or Bt 'San Diego' for Colorado Potato Beetles or iron phosphate baits (Slug-Go, Escar-Go! and other organic snail/slug baits) for snails or slugs or iron phosphate + Spinosad (Slug-Go Plus) for snails and slugs plus pill bugs and sow bugs.

I have a huge garden and landscape and rarely have any given insect damage a plant or plants to the point that I feel any concern about it. I mostly let the good bugs control the bag bugs and I stay out of it and don't interfere in the process. Arriving at this state was not easy. It is hard to sit by patiently and wait for the good bugs to arrive while the bad ones are doing damage, but it pays off as your beneficial insect population increases over the years.

You can attract beneficial insects to your place in many ways. First, do not use broad-spectrum pesticides or they'll avoid your place like the plague. Secondly, plant flowers they're attracted to. Most beneficials are attracted to anything that has tiny flowers...like yarrow or sweet alyssum, and to blooms of many herbs, like catnip, catmint, chamomile, basil, rosemary, lemon balm, etc. Third, leave the bad bugs alone to the extent that you can so they'll have a food supply.

Remember that you have other garden helpers too. Dragonflies and damselflies eat tons of small insects, including mosquitoes. If you have even a tiny water feature in a pot, you'll have dragonflies. It helps if you have something tall and spiky in your water garden, like cattails or pickerel weed because dragonflies like to perch on those while hunting. They even perch on my garden stakes at times.

Birds are great at insect control. I attract wild birds to the garden by feeding them just outside the garden year-round. Once they are used to coming to the garden area to eat, they hang around all day and actively hunt insects.

Frogs, toads and lizards are great garden helpers too, so I keep a shallow pan of water in or near the garden for them and leave dark, shady spots in the corners of the flower border so they have a place to hide.

If you live in an area that doesn't seem to have beneficial insects (common these days because of widespread pesticide use), you can buy and release many kinds, including lady bugs, green lacewings and trichogramma wasps.

I tolerate some 'bad' bugs like blister beetles up to a certain point because they eat grasshopper eggs. Grasshoppers are very destructive and I haven't found a good use for them, except as chicken feed and fishing bait, so I welcome blister beetles unless they run out of grasshoppers to prey upon and start eating plants instead.

Praying mantids are also a good guy/bad guy kind of insect. While they prey upon many pest insects, they also eat beneficial insects and even eat one another. I don't deliberately release them here, but we still have plenty of them around.

When do you worry about an insect? I'd say you worry about one when it is doing large amounts of harm to a plant, but remember that seeing them around doesn't mean they're doing a lot of damage. Often the damage they do is minimal and only cosmetic.

My main form of pest control, other than relying upon beneficial insects, is to handpick pest bugs off plants. Colorado Potato Beetles, for example, are very easy to pick off the plants because they're very slow-moving. If I think an insecticide is needed, I try to choose an organic product specifically aimed at the pest I'm having trouble with.

You also have to ask yourself if there's a reason you're having a specific pest problem. For example, aphids routinely show up in April or May and that is normal. In a healthy garden with healthy plants and a balanced bug population, you'll only see them for a few days and then they are gone. I've never had them do enough damage to kill a plant, but then I am extremely careful to avoid feeding my plants excess nitrogen. Why? Because plants that are overfed nitrogen are incredibly attractive to aphids.

The next time you see an insect in your garden, remember that it is just part of the food chain and you need all the bugs...good and bad....in order to have a healthy garden ecosystem. After all, if you wipe out all the bad bugs, there's nothing left to feed the good ones. Insects also perform lots of helpful tasks. Many kinds of flying insects like bees, sweat bees, hover flies, wasps, etc. are pollinators that some plants rely upon for pollination. Others, like harvester ants, haul off and dispose of the carcasses of dead insects.

And, in case you're wondering which insects do cause me concern, it is a very short list: cutworms, tomato hornworms after about July (prior to that, the few I see don't especially do much damage earlier in the season), stinkbugs, blister beetles IF they are eating plants, cucumber beetles, tomato fruitworm/corn earworm, European corn borers, squash vine borers, spider mites in excessive numbers that beneficial mites cannot control, leafhoppers (because they vector diseases), and definitely grasshoppers/locusts.

For each of the above, I have specific things I do that targets them and them alone so I don't hurt any other members of the ecosystem.

So, the next time you see an insect, don't panic. It is a natural part of your garden ecosystem and it has its own niche to fill. If a pest is causing extreme damage and no beneficial insects or animals or birds are coming to the rescue, then of course you have to do something to intervene. Most of the time, though, if you don't do anything, the world doesn't end and the garden does just fine.

Dawn

Comments (13)

• owiebrain
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wise words, Dawn. The only bugs that I tend to worry about are #@!$@ squash bugs and I bribe hubby and the kids to hand pick them.

(FYI: Hubbies are much easier to bribe than kids.)

Diane

• mrsfrodo
    13 years ago

Dawn,

Thanks for the great info. I've been pretty lazy when it comes to pest control, so I don't usually do anything. But I need to address some issues. The biggest one is just recognizing what the pests are. Can you recommend a good link with photos for common garden pests? You just can't beat visual confirmation.

Also, you recommend Bt 'kurstaki' for caterpillars and Bt 'San Diego' for Colorado Potato Beetles. I have Bt., but believe it is broad spectrum. Where do you get the specific strains of Bt? Do cabbage worms count as caterpillars, and therefore Bt 'kurstaki should be used to control them? I would really like to avoid killing monarachs and other caterpillars/butterflies that don't do harm to my main edible crops.

Sorry for the number of questions, but I'll bet there are others with the same questions.

THANKS!
    Andria

• Related Discussions

RRD Panic!

Q

Comments (33)
    Hello and thank you very much for your offers to help and educate a semi-newbie. Kathy, I looked at your pictures, and I definitely see the same growth on a lot of my plants. However, if you read the e-book mentioned above, you can see why I became confused, as several of the pictures closely resemble yours. Especially when you see a lot of leaves/stems forming from the same spot it gets confusing. So I will relax about the new growth. I haven't been able to find my camera, but I will try again tomorrow when I have some time. However, putting aside all the red new growth, there is still one plant that originally worried me and still does. The growth is not red, it is like a thicker stem growing straight up from a thinner stem, and long sepal-like leaflets surrounding the point of origin as well as forming higher up. This is occurring twice on the plant, and it is pictures of this that I cannot find right now. I will take pictures with my phone tomorrow morning, and take you up on your kind offers to examine them.
    ...See More

Favorite reason to garden?

Q

Comments (26)
    Rhine thanks for sharing your story. How beautiful! I think the main reason I garden is because my mom was an avid gardener. She would spend hours upon hours outside weeding, fertilizing and adoring her gardens. So, basically I grew up with it. One thing she said that I used to think was INSANE was that she LOVED being out in her garden, getting her hands in the dirt (she never wore gloves) and nursing her plants. I thought how gross! Dirt under the nails YUCK...Now that I have my own home and no one here to plant flowers but me, I have gotten into it. I can't imagine a yard without a garden in it. When I see a nice big yard and nothing growing in it except a couple obligatory trees, I want to take the owner to the nursery with me and help them pick out some plants and do something with their yards LOL... My mother told me there was no better "tired" then working in her garden all day, digging, weeding etc until dark and taking a nice hot bath. She would go to bed exhausted, but say it was the best type of "tired" a person can have. I finally understand that. It is a feeling of accomplishment. I can't imagine not having my perennial gardens and of course the beautiful annuals that add that change every year.
    ...See More

48 Reasons Not To Mow 37 Ways To Help Trees

Q

Comments (2)
    Um... okay.
    ...See More

Organic Insect Control in the Home Landscape

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Dawna, Thanks for the kind words. I just wanted to put together a little info sheet for everyone because the pests are so bad this year, and everyone has had a lot of questions. It sure has been raining a lot up your way. I hope all is well there. At least we aren't having to worry about wildfires or a hay shortage this year. Flooding, however, may be this summer's big issue. Dawn
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diane,

I just wanted to talk about bugs, their existence, and how they are not all bad because so many new (and some more experienced) gardeners seem to over-react to their presence.

Hubbies are easy to bribe, aren't they? lol

I have noticed that insects of all kinds are appearing in great abundance.

Squash vine borers are one of our worst pest problems bere, but I get around them to a certain extent by planting the types of pumpkins/winter squash that they don't bother much, if at all.

As for squash bugs, my favorite way to 'hand-pick' them is to take the cordless mini-vacuum out to the garden and vaccum them up. (It is far more entertaining than vacuuming inside!)

Dawn

• boomer_sooner
    13 years ago

Great post Dawn!

One of the problems I see is that there are two different types of gardners here. One is a traditional gardner with farm land and a large tradition garden. The other is a suburban gardner that has a finite amount of garden space or a few raised beds.

The traditional gardner (TG) has a large garden area that they can plant a lot of say tomatoes, more than they need, so that if a third of there crop is destroyed by insects or bacteria, or fungai they still have plenty of tasty tomatoes.

However the suburban gardner (SG) has a very small garden area, say three tomatoes. Now if they lose a third of their crop, they may not have enough to sustain their appetite for the tasty tomatoes. I think maybe thats why some of us SG'ers get panicky when we see a pest.

Also as an SG'er, I'm sure lots of us have neighbers that spray for everthing: weeds, insects, etc. Therefore, I would think that we have a harder time of getting the beneficial insect to our gardens. I know I don't see nearly as many lady bugs as I do when I visit the old farm.

There are several great alternatives to the broad spectrum pest killers. Campanion planting, Insecticidal soap, Neem Oil, Strong jet of water, Pruning, etc.

• kaitsmama
    13 years ago

My daughter and I were out admiring our ecosystem yesterday afternoon. We saw several wolf spiders, some little worms that she called inch worms (I suspect they are the critters that have been munching on my Pak Choy and spinach, so I grabbed those off the plants), the hugest slug I have ever seen (he got relocated), some beautiful earth worms, a few butterflies, a frog, crawfish, and several birds. While we were out she released a dragonfly that she had accidentally raised in her tadpole habitat inside.

I need some help with one though...We, also, saw a beetle that looked a lot like a ladybug, but it was orange and not round. It was a bit elongated, almost what I would call oval. Any ideas?

Laura

• devilwoman
    13 years ago

Laura, did it stay completely still, almost as if it was sleeping?

Ladybugs come in all sorts of colors, some with spots and some without. The life cycle of a ladybug includes a stage (pupa) where the larva creates a chrysalis, similar to what caterpillars do to change to butterflies. The ones I've seen in my yard do seem a bit more oval than round. In this stage they will stay put and not move around. Give them a few days, and you should see them emerge as the more familiar round shape.

Debra

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of ladybugs in various stages of their life cycle

• jleroi
    13 years ago

Excellent points. I tend to target the harmful pests in my small vegetable garden area with organic treatments when they start doing serious damage, but pretty much let nature take it's course otherwise. I also usually let them go in all of our other beds and garden areas. For instance I don't mind aphids chomping on my DW's rose leaves if they are leaving the veggies alone. ;)

I always leave all of the spiders, flies, lady bugs, etc. alone. In fact, I have seen a few Discovery Channel worthy battles amongst the leaves!

• kaitsmama
    13 years ago

Debra,

It was crawling about on the plants, but let my daughter pick it up. Then it crawled around on her hand, and flew away. I looked through the photos, and think you are probably right, I had just never noticed one elongated the way this one was... Then again, I never spent so much time looking at them. :)

Laura

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Ok, I know that was for me!! The funny thing is, I do know better than to freak out. I have a degree in WILDLIFE ECOLOGY for goodness sake! But when I saw those bugs I had horrible images flash through my mind of them sucking all the sap out of my precious tomatoes and I freaked. I have never been very successful in gardening before and I am determined to do better this year. I guess I just have too much riding on it. LOL!

• gldno1
    13 years ago

No, tigerdawn, it was for me. My first reaction is to think about mixing up some Sevin. I will try to remember to stop and think of Dawn's little essay. Very well put and important. I should print it out and post it on my garden gate!

• mulberryknob
    13 years ago

Laura, the Mexican bean beetle looks enough like a lady beetle that many people confuse them. They are somewhat elongated and more orange than red. I suspect that's what you saw.

Way back before I had a computer I bought Rodale's Color Handbook of Garden Insects, by Anna Carr. Don't know if it's still available but it is a great guide, full of color photos. It has all kinds of insects, pests, predators and pollinators.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Y'all are too funny. The 'panic' statement was NOT aimed at or inspired by any one person, but don't y'all think there's a little bit of that "oh no" panic in all of us when we discover one garden pest or another has arrived? I just figured it was that time of year, and wanted to encourage everyone to view their garden/yard/landscape as an ecosystem and understand that ecosystems need balance, and that includes a balanced bug population. The only people I know who have really serious insect issues are the ones who routinely spray broad-spectrum chemical pesticides (and I have folks around me in the country who do this too, it is NOT restricted to only city folks) every time they see a bug. Once they've wiped out the good bugs, there's no one left to help them with the bad bugs, and bad bugs always rebound more quickly.

Andria, bugguide.net is a good bug ID site and there are others, but that's the one I use the most often. Bt products should state on their label which Bt they are, unless it is clear in their name. The ones I buy have an Ingredient list and specify which Bt in that list. Bt kurstaki is sold in many products, and often it says Caterpillar Killer in large letters on the label. You'll find it in Thuricide and Dipel, among other products and, yes, the caterpillars you see on cole family crops are controlled by this form of Bt. The 'san diego' strain used for Colorado Potato Beetles will feature a Beetle somewhere on its label or in its name, like the product 'Colorado Potato Beater". The 'israelensis' strain used for mosquito larvae will have mosquitoes on the label and is found as mosquito dunks or as a granular product you can sprinkle into ponds and other still bodies of water.

To avoid harming butterflies, I try to use Bt 'kurstaki' as little as possible, but it would be hard to get a good crop of cabbage without it. I don't spray the broccoli though, and I don't spray tomato plants with Bt to kill hornworms and fruitworms. I just handpick them when I find them and count on the help of the parasitic wasps.

Boomer, Thanks. I think we have more than two kinds of gardeners here...we have many kinds and we all just do the best we can with what we've got. I gardened in a big city until I was 39 years old and moved here. I remember when folks sprayed DDT for everything when I was a child. Heck, I remember us kids running or riding our bicycles in the 'mist' that came out of the tanker truck when the city sprayed for mosquitoes. (It is a wonder the chemical exposure didn't kill us all!) I've tried raising a big 8' x 10' garden in a yard that was 95% shade, and was thrilled to have 6 tomato plants. I've done square foot gardening. I've done container gardening. What I do now is Biointensive gardening the John Jeavons/Alan Chadwick way. It works better for me than anything else I've ever done. You have to work with what you've got, and we've all got different challenges.

And, in case you're thinking it is easy out here in the country, let me tell you.....I have ranching neighbors who spray large amounts of chemicals and it sometimes causes me problems. You just have to deal with the hand you're dealt. I get very frustrated when their herbicide drift kills or damages plants in my garden, but there's really nothing I can do to prevent it. I don't think pesticides are used as much as they used to be out here, but they're still used at a level that makes me uncomfortable. In one very, very bad grasshopper year, so much junk was sprayed to kill grasshoppers (and it didn't kill them!) that many songbirds died. We didn't see a single bluebird for over three years. During the last decade, I've seen a big shift in attitudes here...even the diehard chemical-using farmers and ranchers are trying really hard to do things in a much more sustainable way, and that gives me hope. They used to laugh at me, the organic nut, and now some of them ask me "What would you do for....." and I try to give them the best organic answers I know. Being more sustainable and 'green' is in, and that's a really good thing. Still, even though I prefer to garden as naturally as possible, I would defend anyone's right to use a chemical product if that is what they believe is best. I just think there's a better way. I don't even like using pyrethrins/permethrins because of their toxicity, and I would never use Rotenone. Neem is OK, but I only use it as an absolute last resort...so maybe one time every three or four years. I avoid most soaps and horticultural oils because they can burn foliage in hot weather. I guess, when it comes right down to it, that's not much I use other than hand-picking, squishing, or drowning pests. I do like Spinosad and love iron phosphate/Spinosad for the sowbugs and pill bugs. I use Nolo Bait every few years for hoppers (this probably will be that year....based on what I'm seeing in terms of how large the current nymph hatch is).

I use more companion planting than anyone I know, and I use the companion plants either to attract beneficials and pollinators or to repel unwanted pests. I always describe my beds as a crazy quilt, because each bed is a blend of veggies, flowers and herbs. Some of the 'old farmer' types here refer to my companion plants as 'your weeds' but I just laugh it off.

In case you think I don't get that little panicky 'oh no' feeling when I see a sudden influx of pests, you're wrong. I get it too. Then, instead of reaching for a chemical solution, I work on using a natural one. There have been a couple of times that I panicked and bought a chemical pesticide, and then couldn't force myself to use it. lol Guess what? The pest issue resolved itself and I didn't lose my crop or even a significant portion of it. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing, but it has taken me my entire life to arrive at the point that I understand that.

When we moved here, we had lots of pest insects, and seemingly few beneficial insects. I worked really hard for 4 or 5 years to control the bad guys and attract the good guys, and finally had one of those years where the good guys showed up and took care of the bad guys. There were a couple of years like that, and then one year, the good guys didn't come. Do you know why? Because our population of pest insects was too low to support the good bugs. It took me a while to understand that, but then it was an 'aha' moment and I finally got "it".

Laura, I loved your description of your ecosystem and all the wild critters in it. I think it is simply wonderful that your daughter is learning so much at such a young age. Debra addressed the lady bug issue....all shapes, sizes, colors, including solid black ones. I've even seen pink ones here. They're pretty cute.

Jleroi, Some of the most fierce battles I've ever seen are between praying mantids....but there's all kinds of life-and-death-drama between the various wild things every day. It is fascinating!

Tigerdawn, This wasn't aimed at you. lol You're going to be fine. Trust me. I have a gardening friend who used to reach for the pesticide every time he saw a bug and has just decided to wait until a certain level of damage is being seen. Guess what? He rarely sees the damage rise to the level he thinks is 'too much' and now he realizes that the insects are not nearly as damaging as he thought they were.

Glenda, My friend, Fred, is a big Sevin user, but he's really backed off in the last few years, and I can't tell his garden has any more pest issues than it did before. I think that after years of giving me a hard time about 'hogging all the bees', he finally decided to stop spraying so much and see if his bees would come back....and they did. He proudly stopped by one day recently while I was working outside to announce that the bees were working his fruit trees like crazy. I was excited for him.

Dorothy, I think I'll look and see if Rodale has a bug guide somewhere online. You'd think they would. I used to have a great insect book, but I must have loaned it out or something because I can't find it now.

All of you might get a big kick out of this: one year when our son was in high school, they had to do an Insect Collection, which of course was not high on any teenager's priority list. Once our son's classmates realized we had every bug in the world here at our place, some of them came by to 'catch bugs'. I wasn't sure if they thought it was great that we had so many bugs, or maybe terrible that we had so many, but they were able to catch all the different kinds of bugs they needed in just a couple of hours! Then they all worked together to identify them, and that helped me learn the names of some of the more obscure bugs, like Southern robber flies. After that, we were the 'go-to guys' for anyone doing a bug collection...nieces and nephews who lived in 'nuked' neighborhoods in Texas, DH's co-workers kids from Texas, etc. Need a bug? We've got 'em here. : ) And, once they came here to collect bugs, they learned we had lots of wildflowers.....which then gave them an idea where to come when it was time for the Texas kids to do a wildflower collection.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

One of my favorite insect identification books is Whitney Cranshaws 'Garden Insects of North America'. It is a rather large book, packed with photos and information on various insects. I find it easier to use because it is divided into sections like "leaf chewing insects", "flower feeding insects", "sap sucking insects", etc. I have the Rodale's book, too, but find Cranshaw's book the "go to" book for ID'ing bugs in the garden much better.

Susan