SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Anyone buying anything today on Prime Day?

tinam61
7 years ago

I haven't checked the sales out yet, but will take a look. I don't have anything in mind.

Comments (55)

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

I bought a plug in "UV sanitizer and odor reducer" Odor Reducer that got good reviews for use near litter boxes. Although I saw some other decent deals, there wasn't anything I couldn't pass up or find for a comparable price other times of the year. Granted, I'm not in the market for electronics or such, so I didn't really look at those items.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I just took a glance to see if there were any bargains I had to have. A couple of things looked interesting & were good buys but I resisted. Didn't really need them.

• Related Discussions

Happy Arbor Day! Anyone planting a tree today in commemoration?

Q

Comments (10)
    Well, I do have 4 Golden Raintrees, so there will (hopefully) be some color this summer, but I get what you're saying Ken, I have a whole lot of green. I have to say my husband REALLY likes the European Hornbeam Fastigiata's leaves. He didnt find them so interesting when he saw their pictures online, but he's taken a real liking to them, and comments almost every day how good they look. T I adore the Red Horse Chestnut! I know exactly where to plant 2 next Spring. They're wind tolerant too which is a must for me. We don't live in a wind tunnel but still, I never knew how windy a spot we lived in til I planted my trees. lol We took our daughter to the local (if you call 30 minutes away local) nursery and their prices were RIDICULOUS. Needless to say we didn't buy anything there.
    ...See More

Anyone buy anything at Michaels today?

Q

Comments (5)
    We dropped our daughter off at a birthday party, and DH agreed to go to Michael's. Wowee! I'm making baby Memory Jars (thread from the Crafts/decorations forum, email me for direct instructions), so I bought stuff for that, and some fiskars pinking edgers, and CHUNKY STAMPS for stamping clothes w/ dishwasher gel (which bleaches out the clothes, if you can believe that!). What a hoot. I spent an hour and $25...Oh, yeah! I also bought a 6 pack (?) of sharpie markers for tye dying w/ markers (also email me for these directions!) You see though, that I stayed out of the scrapbook aisle...I can NOT start scrapbooking... :)
    ...See More

Prime Day deals 2019

Q

Comments (30)
    bbstx… How about 60 Poptarts for $12??? It would take me 60 years to eat 60 Poptarts! It would take me 60 years, or extreme starvation as an alternative, to eat just one more in the rest of my lifetime... EDIT Amazon is ATM trying to push clothing on me. Sorry, 1) I'm now retired and trying to wear out the stuff I already have, and 2) you don't carry tall size clothing, and 3) I never have bought any wearables other than shoes from your site, ever.
    ...See More

Prime Day- whatchagetting?

Q

Comments (42)
    I have a lot of Amazon points accumulated and am thinking of taking advantage of Prime Day to get a Kindle Paperwhite. I have a couple of Kindle Fires and like them a lot, but I still prefer reading traditional books. Maybe the Paperwhite reading experience would be more satisfying for me. Or maybe it would be fun just to get a new toy, which would be a lovely diversion from my roof damage and torn-apart kitchen, a situation that's been going on since May 3. Anyway, I haven't decided yet, but if I don't get one now it would be a good item to put on my Christmas wish list. I see that Amazon offers several Paperwhite models. Does "ad-supported" mean you risk a plague of pop-up ads?
    ...See More
  • happy2b…gw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I looked for several items that I need, but they were not prime deals.

• User
    7 years ago

I don't need anything right now I wasn't planning on it.

I have prime and love it, but went to buy something recently and saw it was only available for "prime pantry" and I had to spend x amount (I think $25 or $35) in order not to pay the $5.99 shipping. Huh? I was quite put off with the whole thing.

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

Sheeisback, I had the same experience with prime pantry several months ago. It put me off of prime pantry completely. I don't even look at that stuff anymore.

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

I'm also wondering if I need an Echo. maddielee.

• maddielee
    7 years ago

Errant, I went ahead an ordered one. (Probably wouldn't have but the Ebook settlement refund paid for the whole sale price, so it's like getting it free!) Other people must have been ordering them too because I had to 'retry' checking out numerous times. That had never happened before.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

The InstantPot is a good deal this time.... I already have one but the price is even lower than last fall.

• grammaj_gw
    7 years ago

Just ordered a Kindle Fire Kids Tablet for our Granddaughter for a Christmas gift. It was $40.00 off from when I first looked at it a few days ago.

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Cat scratcher of course!

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Maddielee, I ordered the Echo, too! I already had a Dot, so I got another $10 discount by ordering through the Dot. $119 for an Echo is almost as good a price as the $99 I paid for the one I gave my mother last year. That Ebook settlement was such a lovely surprise. The first one we received was nice, but this one was stupendous!

• JePenseTrop
    7 years ago

I bought an Echo/Alexa a while ago so.... on Friday I received a pre-prime deal on an Amazon Tap for $50 off and then another $10 off bonus and I just had to buy one - final price $70. I plan on doing a lot of home automation in the near future.

Today, I got a couple of good deals on home automation items that work with Alexa but to get the deal, I had to order via Alexa - that skill may come in handy a lot more in the future.

Philips Hue white and color ambiance lighting starter kit, 2nd Gen. reg $200 Prime Alexa deal $135

TP Link WiFi Outlet plug reg. $30 Prime Alexa deal $15

I'm still shopping and I'm also checking out Woot's Primo Day aka Woot-Off. Woot sent me $10 off too and they have free shipping today on Woot-Off items. fyi - Woot is owned by Amazon.

• amykath
    7 years ago

I did not but apparently my husband had some fun. He bought a stereo, a water proof blue tooth, sheets and security camera. I swear I need to be the one in control of the money around here!

• JennaVaNowSC
    7 years ago

I ordered the Instant Pot. My daughter has one and loves it!!

• dedtired
    7 years ago

I had to exchange a pair of sandals. I paid $129 for them. I just reordered in a small size and saved $35! Woo hoo! I also ordered using Amazon Smile so my library gets one half of one percent of the value of the order. Hope they don't go crazy spending all that money.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Good grief, when I added them to my cart, the price went down even more. I got them for $67 and had originally paid $129. Yippee!

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

I was eying the instant pot. Is it handy to have?

• jill302
    7 years ago

They have a special on Kindle Unlimited, does anyone know are all Kindle books included in Kindle Unlimited or is it a subset?

• User
    7 years ago

Did you know Amazon Prime will be changing to 3-5 day shipping instead of 2 day? They want to get it changed over before Christmas, so that the last minute shoppers will have to pay for 2 day shipping.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

@Bluebell66 -- the InstantPot is handy, especially for those in a time
    pinch or in a warmer summer climate (no cooking on the stove for
    hours). Beans (including Chili) are especially good in them, as some
    types don't even need a presoak.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Interesting Allison. I have been hearing (reading) that for the past 2-3 years - that Prime would go to 3-5 days. I think they had a "ship-by-region" program where a seller might only ship prime to certain areas not nationwide, but I never really heard anything about it and I've yet to order anything that didn't come in the 2 days. For me personally, 3-5 days wouldn't matter - if it's still free shipping. It's very rare I'd need to order anything to get here that quickly. Anyhoo, it will be interesting to see if this does actually come about this time.

GrammaJ - I thought about Christmas shopping when I was browsing through the deals this morning. I did see some great gifts for kids. We don't have a long Christmas list and I really couldn't think of something this far ahead that I would buy for someone. LOL

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Jill302, Not all Kindle books are included in Kindle Unlimited. If you have favorite authors, do a search within Amazon to see if their books are a part of the program.

I will be very disappointed if Prime goes to 3-5 days!

• terezosa / terriks
    7 years ago

I noticed that one of the Pacsafe crossbody bags that I recommended in another thread was 30% off for Prime Day.

I bought some Turmeric supplements because they were a lot cheaper than Costco.

• rich69b
    7 years ago

I bought an Instant Pot. Heard great things about it, great reviews, and cheaper than when it was on sale about 2 months ago. And the ceramic insert of my crock pot broke last month, so I really need this one ;)

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

I broke down and ordered the Echo. I'm a sucker for gadgets :o

• jill302
    7 years ago

Thanks for the information on Kindle Unlimited are not part of the program so not good for me.

If Amazon Prime changes to 3 - 5 days year round, the membership might not be worth it for me. I would much prefer they have cut-off date for shipping around the holidays. For example the last day they can guarantee 2 day shipping before Christmas would be 12/17 or something like that.

• User
    7 years ago

Prime music and prime tv is still worth the 99 bucks. The 2 day shipping is nice...but I almost died when the post carrier drove down the drive on a Sunday to bring me a 5 dollar lamp repair kit. How can you make money like that?

• User
    7 years ago

This news came to me recently (this week) from a friend with an Amazon shop. I think they are getting more serious about it now.

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

So shouldn't my Echo have be arriving today? When I look at my order, it hasn't even shipped and shows an estimated arrival date of Friday the 22nd. Do these Prime Day deals not qualify for the normal Prime 2-day shipping?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

"This news came to me recently (this week) from a friend with an Amazon shop. I think they are getting more serious about it now."

The other day I noticed on some products when it says it is prime eligible that 3-4 days was in parentheses. I do not see that today but did see if you wanted guaranteed 2 day shipping, there was a fee for that.

Personally, Amazon is beginning to lose some of its luster in my eyes. There is no denying the convenience, but I am finding more and more that I need to verify prices as their deals are not nearly as good as they want you to believe. The concept of Prime Pantry really annoyed me, why pay for Prime if you need a certain dollar amount for free shipping of groceries? Ebook prices are generally pretty comparable in price to regular books. To rent a video/movie on Amazon is generally more expensive than other rental options. I also hate the stock-market like price fluctuations.

Add to all that Amazon increasing the price of prime (which I understood at the time) but if they now want to also increase the shipping time, it certainly makes them a somewhat less attractive option.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My package arrived today. The jar of fertilizer (iron) I ordered Monday arrived yesterday.

Errant, not everything ships Prime. If it does, it will say so.

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

Just checked my order, and it does say 2-day Prime shipping. I guess the 2 days don't start until it actually leaves. I guess I've never purchased something that wasn't shipped immediately, so never really noticed.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, that is how it works. I just went at looked. From their website:

• If the item you're ordering is out of stock or
      unavailable to ship immediately, the shipping method time starts when
      the item ships. For example, it will take two business days after an
      item ships to reach you with Two-Day Shipping.
  • maddielee
    7 years ago

Errant, my echo isn't here yet either (5:14 pm)

I checked tracking and it is scheduled to get here before 8:00 pm tonight.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

My Echo arrived today. I ordered it early on the 12th.

• maddielee
    7 years ago

It's now a few minutes after 7:00 pm. My Echo hasn't shipped yet but will be here by 8:00 pm. We'll see. :)

• dedtired
    7 years ago

What exactly is an Echo??

• maddielee
    7 years ago

"What exactly is an Echo??"

A magical machine. Distance relative of Siri.

Echo

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Hmm, I am sure sooner or later I will not be able to live without it, but not right now. Thanks.

• grammaj_gw
    7 years ago

The tracking said the Kindle I ordered for our granddaughter for Christmas would be here by 8 tonight too but it did not arrive. No hurry of course but just wonder why it shows to be here by 8 and then no show.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Did anyone read the comments under the counterfeit article?

Wow. You order an item and the counterfeit items are mingled with the authentic items so you might receive the real thing from the Amazon warehouse or you might receive the poor quality knockoff. It looks just the same to the people filling the orders. That could explain why there are positive reviews and this is junk! reviews for the same items. I thought the problem was mainly for licenced clothing or designer items. Nope, the counterfeit is happening for ANY product that is selling extremely well or is making a big profit. An honest seller is falsely tied up to prevent sales while 5 counterfeiters take his place to make money off Americans thinking they are getting a quality USA product. Amazon makes money regardless so they let buyers get burned. Cheating like this must be stopped. American products are under attack and congress needs to get in there and fight.

• User
    7 years ago

I got one pkg today and 4 things due tomorrow. I ordered rather late in the day.

As for the knockoffs, it's not only Amazon and it's very difficult to combat.

Factories will make the name brand merchandise during the day. Then at night a different shift will make knockoffs. Sometimes with the same materials but often interiors will be substituted.

If you watch Shark Tank you know that any new invention will quickly be copied by Chinese factories and marketed to the US consumer.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

As for the knockoffs, it's not only Amazon and it's very difficult to combat.

Yes, but amazon has changed their policies to actually favor these, in an attempt to head off alibaba as a competitor.

Amazon has always been shoddy and arrogant. I used to write a very popular book on digital photo editing. One year my idiot publishers let it go out of stock just before Thanksgiving (it always had huge holiday sales, and modern publishing generally prints about a week's supply at a time now instead of the huge runs of the olden days), so amazon just took it upon themselves to start xeroxing the book and sending out xerox copies at the regular price instead of telling people that shipping would be delayed a week or so. At first we couldn't figure out what was happening when people started complaining that the book was in black and white, when we knew it wasn't.

There's nothing amazon is not capable of, believe me.

• maddielee
    7 years ago

grammaj, my shipment tracking info still says it will be delivered before 8:00 pm last night. Also still shows that it has not shipped.

Considering what happened in France last night, I refuse to be concerned over a 'thing' not getting here on time.

• grammaj_gw
    7 years ago

I totally agree with you maddielee. It does not matter at all when you consider all the tragedy taking place around the world. So sad.

• User
    7 years ago

It's always interesting to look at the list of topics on HD Conversations. Shopping and beauty mixed in with the latest tragedy.

I'd never heard of Echo either. I watched this video yesterday that showed it in action.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Oh my god, that is so annoying. If I had to hear people say "Alexa" all day, I would lose my mind. Imagine what it would be like in a house where someone is actually named Alexa.

As for deliveries, I had one package arrive a day early and two are out for delivery today, as promised.

• 4boys2
    7 years ago

I tend to get a more accurate track by going to Fedex or UPS with the tracking number provided by Amazon.You can tell if the item has actually been scanned onto the truck out for delivery.However,USPS does a bulk scan so you won't really know if it is out for delivery.

• maddielee
    7 years ago

I received an apology letter from Amazon, my shipment (out of stock) should be here before the 20th.

Maybe they should go to Lowes and buy some off the shelves....

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County