SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

Easy and inexpensive way to affix climber to column

I recently planted climbers at the base of my front porch columns and was looking for a way to train the roses up the columns. I searched through the forums but couldn't find a good solution to deal with my hollow columns. After wracking my brain for a while here is what I came up with. Hopefully it will help someone else.

Zip ties. I didn't want to nail or drill into the columns as they are hollow. So instead I determined that large zip ties could be secured at various heights around the column and the rose could then be tied to the zip tie (or smaller zip tie off the zip tie). Harbor Freight sells 24" white zip ties in a pack of ten for under $2. My columns have a circumference of more than 24" at the base so I have to put two together at the lower end.

I will admit it looks a bit messy right now but once the rose grows a little more this won't be visible. And once the canes are long enough to sprial around there won't be these long ties.

To tie the rose to the zip ties I used panty hose. And FYI, Walmart sells pairs of knee highs for .50 each. They come in nude, black and white. I will use the white once my roses are ready to be tied spiraling up the colums. The .50 knee highs are on a wire basket end cap at the hosiery aisle.

The harbor freight zip ties

Comments (7)