SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sepide85

Help! Which vines are safe(r) on a wooden house?

7 years ago

Hi there! I live in Southern California (zone 10) and I have a house with wooden shingle siding. Half the shingles were recently replaced because they were falling apart, and half were less damaged, so we left them on and painted them all (new + old), so they could survive another 5-10 years before we need to replace everything with fiber cement siding. My problem right now is that you can see the difference between the old and new, so I am looking for a climbing vine to cover the side of the house where its most apparent, or at least soften it and make it look more attractive. I know, however, that vines can deteriorate wood. I don't need the shingles to last 100 years, like I said, 10 will do, so I'm fine with something that deteriorates wood "over time". What is safe(r) to grow on wood siding? I was mostly interested in creeping fig, morning glory vine, ivy, and red trumpet vine, but any suggestions will do! Also, I should mention that my house is 3 stories high, so getting an annual or "regular pruning" isn't really an option hahaha I definitely can't do it more than once or twice a year. Thank you SO much in advance for your help! I can't seem to find my answer on the internet for this one, so only an experienced or knowledgeable gardener can help me now!

Comments (4)