SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_ll

Fallen tree = no more full shade. Which plants need new homes?

maggie_ll
7 years ago

We had a bad storm a week ago, and the maple tree in our front yard (which basically made my front bed a shade garden) bit the dust. Poor old tree.

The up side is the lawn should finally grow in, but...

Now I have the dilemma of figuring out what to do (if anything) with the plants I have there in front of the house. These beds now get at least 6 hours of sun starting around 11 am, whereas before it was 3 at most, and none in some spots.

Some were plants I bought specifically for shade, some were random misplaced sun or part sun plants. I'm having a little trouble figuring out what should be moved now.

It is south facing and there is still morning shade there until around noon.

I have various hostas, burning bushes, ferns, astilbe, lamium, stonecrop, penstemon, 3 big sedums, blue star juniper, heuchera, hybrid viola, ajuga, calla lily, begonias.

A few days later, the 3 sedums look like they're suffering during the mid-day heat. They had been thriving there for years.

I've been watering everything lightly once a day just in case. Is there anything else I can do to get the plants acclimated to the new conditions?

The other plants that appear to be really hurting so far are the ferns (some of which are all but dead a week later) a lot of the hostas, and the double impatiens.

What would you do (if anything) if you were me?

Comments (8)