SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diane_plummer

Mother bluebird found with her head gone.

Diane Plummer
7 years ago

Hello, I am not having any luck at all with my bluebird boxes in the last few years, and I think I should just hang it up. I feel like I'm just setting the poor things up to be preyed upon and I feel terrible. Predators either get the eggs, the babies and now the parents. First bluebird box I found the eggs abandoned. I presume the parents were eaten by something. I did put chicken wire around the top and sides with overhang to keep the cats from sitting on top of the boxes and reaching in the hole fishing for whatever their claws would capture! So now I have this second box with eggs and the mother had just started sitting on them. Today I found her body, fully intact, sitting in the hole and the head was bitten clean off. Almost like it had been cut of with a pair of scissors. Just a nice clean line. I can't believe it. I did put up a trail camera and trying to see if the predator will come back looking for more. Does anyone know what might have done this? I have never seen this before in my life! Thanks for any suggestions. Diane

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH