SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
future_retiree

Miele RemoteVision, IOT (Internet of Things) & Miele’s SmartPhone App?

future_retiree
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This is a combination of several questions and a few observations.

Miele offers their RemoteVision function on many -- not all -- models of their appliances.
They describe RemoteVision as a “monitoring service” available upon purchase and activation of the wireless (WiFi) module.

This is obviously the basis for IOT with Miele appliances, IOT is defined as:

A proposed development of the Internet in which everyday objects have network connectivity, allowing them to send and receive data. "If one thing can prevent the Internet of things from transforming the way we live and work, it will be a breakdown in security"

Remote Vision is discussed and mentioned very little on here. Yet it has a lot of potential.
One example I stumbled on, there’s a Miele SmartPhone app from which you can monitor and do limited control of your appliances. It looks very cool. Here’s a link to the Android version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.miele.infocontrol&hl=en

I’d presume there’s an apple version also.

Here’s a press release announcing the app: http://www.miele.de/en/m/miele-at-mobile-app-everything-under-control-2441.htm

Has anyone ever seen or used this app? Unfortunately I see the message “This app is incompatible with your device.”

This app and it's features are almost secret, I only found it by accident. You’d think Miele would play this up as a very cool feature.

Yet the opposite is happening, even in some product manuals there is no mention of RemoteVision. You have to go to a support section of the MieleUSA website, and once there you get a somewhat disconnected (disconnected from Miele’s mainstream appliances) description of RemoteVision. But there’s still no mention of the SmartPhone app.

Why would they let such a cool feature go unpublicized?

Comments (3)

• plllog
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They used to talk it up. Perhaps there was consumer resistance. I know when I got my Miele coolers, my wi-fi was internal only, mostly for the stereo, and the remote vision module was expensive. It can do things like call you if someone leaves the freezer open, and phone home to tell the techs what the trouble is, but I've had a few reasons to call the techs and they speak human very well, and are very helpful and accommodating without the gizmo. The apps are newer, but I don't even use the Anova app for my circulator. It seems like a bother. I look up the times and temps I want and just set it manually.

While there is potential there, it's more of "toys for boys" kind of thing so far, the gizmo that gets the missus her double the price of the big box store appliance. That's a standard kind of marketing tool that predates the world wide web. ;)

• bradcp
    6 years ago
    Their Smartphone App is not for the U.S., last month I read about it (after a google search) and was very interested but then realized I was reading about it on their UK website! I visited my local Miele dealer the following week and they’re not sure when that tech capability will come to U.S. There’s other cool things available in Europe that we don’t get here, like the Induction cooktop where you place a pan anywhere on its surface - not just defined locations.
  • davegvg
    5 years ago

I have it with my new W1 washer (here in the US) . Its not much more than a proxy for whats on the washer screen and reordering detergents.