SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Pros - Where paint and stain intersect - best method?

DLM2000-GW
7 years ago

This is for a new build, windows are casements, clad exterior, raw interior and are already installed.

We'd like to stain the sash rails and mullions and paint the rest of the window interior, all layers of the jamb and frame. With an open casement window, that will be straight forward and easy to apply the different finishes. The problem is we have some windows with transoms that are fixed/not operable. Obviously since they don't open we can't physically separate the areas that will get the paint and stain. We're talking dark stain and white paint here so the opportunity to make a mess is significant. My instinct is to tape (and burnish the edge) the area to be painted and do the stain first. When dry, tape the stained area and paint the rest. When that's dry, apply acrylic clear coat to the stain. Good approach or do you recommend something else? It's a boatload of work but I don't know how else to approach this.

As for product, I've worked with gel stain doing designs on wood flooring and think gel will be easier to control for the windows as well - yes? Your thoughts on Old Masters? And what would you recommend for the finish coat over the stain? I'd like a low luster water based finish. I believe that will have to be a brush on (very carefully near the paint) application and not a wipe on finish. Again, your thoughts?

Generally I'm not a fan of taping and will just carefully cut in with a good angle brush around baseboards or trim. This is different and I fear that method is above my skill level for this project. We're not totally against hiring this our but we are owner/builder and pinching pennies where we can. Plus we moved to a new area and have had some issues with quality in other areas already - this could be a nightmare in the wrong hands. It may take us forever but we'll keep it crisp and clean.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.

Comments (4)