SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_alberty

Cut how much off young plant with black spot?

Erin Alberty
7 years ago

I'm trying roses for the first time and planted a New Dawn this spring. It appears to have black spot (which is surprising to me since I live in bone-dry Utah and water with drippers. It is in a corner, though, so maybe poor circulation is an issue).

Anyway, I'm reading advice to cut away all infested leaves -- but with such a young plant, only knee high, that won't leave much behind. Do I do it anyway? It made 10 or so flowers in the past 3-4 weeks and appears to be done.

I've read this rose is likely to become quite large, so I anticipate most of it will be trellised high enough to be in good circulation. But if the base is in Black Spot Territory, does that mean I'll have to be up on a ladder every week to spray the whole thing with fungicide? In the long term, can I just prune it so the lower parts of the cane are bare and foliage is only up where it's high and dry?

(And I laugh to write that it needs to be high to stay dry. Since I planted it March 30, we've had less than 2.5 in rain, and the humidity has cracked 90% only four times. On just seven days have we gotten more than 0.1 inch rain. So we're not exactly swamped in here.)

Comments (11)