Bluebird nest destroyed by Black Bear
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
black insect eggs on Carmen Jewel cherry
Comments (6)I hadn't gotten back to check the bush cherry until this morning. They weren't lady bugs. Appear to be little black aphids in large numbers now, and they have chewed the newest leaves all up. I took the bird cage off the bush in the hopes that the bluebirds that are nesting about 15' away might eat the aphids. When the rain stops, I'll have to try blasting the aphids with the hose. If that doesn't help, I'll have to use some soap spray and put the bird cage back over it, so the bluebirds don't eat the soapy bugs. The final weapon would be insecticide with the cage over them to protect the bluebirds, since the bush is too small to produce cherries yet, anyway....See MoreBears and feral hogs
Comments (40)Ww have wild or feral hogs here in southwest Washington County Arkansas also. The first showed up about 12 years ago. Sow had a litter between the rows of hay stored outside. In 12 years they have over-run the territory. Biggest issue is the destruction of pastures and hay medows. We have trapped and either sold or butchered dozens each year for the past several years. Hunters usually bring the numbers down during deer season. But with no real natural preadators, their numbers continue to climb. For our area, the true Razorback has been extinct for a very long time. What we are seeing are domistic animals turned feral. They have migrated here or been hauled in. I live 1 mile from the national forest. Nothing between me and Fort Smith but Lee Creek. Hogs will turn feral quicker than any other animal. About 3 generations is all it takes, or less than 5 years. Had the same issue with the armidilo many years back. We would go out on a sunny warm winter day and have killed up to 30 in an afternoon. They would come out on days like that and were easy to spot in the sun shine as they dug around in the pastures. It took several years to get their numbers down enough that a man didn't have to spend a couple weeks filling holes in his hay medows. Bears arn't that big a problem here. Had a teenager tear into our Church/community building a couple of times. Game and Fish asked us to wait until spring to see if the youngster would move on, if not they would trap him. And move on he did. I still see one or two a year. Supposed to be cats here as will. I've never seen one, but others have. All in all, those hogs are the worst all the way around. More dangerous, more destructive and by far more difficult to control. Good Luck folks........See MoreEggs found outside of nest box?
Comments (7)The three eggs are still there, and mom and dad have been busy at work. They're eating up the dried mealworms, too. I haven't seen any house wrens, but I'm not great at picking them out, either. I just went to my Sibley book, and it says that they are at edges of woods and overgrown gardens, we really don't fit that bill. No woods, and not much of a garden. This neighborhood was corn fields until 2006 and they scraped off all of the good soil and left the clay. Two neighborhoods side by side, same outcome. Any trees here are under 7 years old. I've put in bushes in the last 2 years, all are still quite small. I do have a carolina wren that nests every year in the propane tank, about 15 feet from the bluebird feeder. I've left that nest alone, but found it on the ground after the propane guy came about a month ago. I don't know if the wren will rebuild or not, I hope so. That's a funny bird, when we sit on the back porch it'll jump around the porch just out of eyesight and peek over to look at us as it goes around. Like it thinks we don't see it!! Would a carolina wren disturb it? My daughter just started taking lessons at that horse farm, I was actually shocked when I heard and then saw those HOSP. They were only there that one time, but they were there. We are quite rural, and close to the bay with a lot of swamp around. I never feed birdseed beyond the winter time and it is always BOSS or safflower seeds, never millet and that filler crap that those HOSP seem to love. I really hope I never see one of those here!! I have a killdeer nesting somewhere way in the backyard, I haven't gotten too close, I got a warning last time I walked back there, and my purple martins are back, too :) Each of the plots in the neighborhood are an acre, and it is only about 40% built, the builders left after the market crashed. The empty plots are regularly mowed, lots of empty fields around here. Christy...See MoreHelp -- Parents aren't leaving the nesting box after fledging
Comments (11)We checked the box and the nest was flattened completely. We had gone out to purchase and prepare a new bluebird box and a new post as the old one was warping. We removed the old nest and took out the pool and house to dig a deeper hole for the new house. The parent stood by the entire time we did this. There were no babies left in the box, however, at the very bottom of the nest we did find one egg that did not hatch. We don't think this is why the parents kept coming back. We do think they just wanted to keep a claim on the box. Well, within two minutes (before we even got back to our house) the male flew back to the new house and both parents have been flying back and forth for the last four days. The male keeps looking inside the box and if any other bird attempts to come near, they are quickly chased away by the male. We are anxiously awaiting for them to start building their new nest. They may be still feeding their babies who should be pretty well on their own by now. It was interesting how they watched us as we installed their "new house" and immediately returned to it. I'll keep you posted and hopefully building will begin soon. We saw them do this before they built their last nest. It took days for them to actually start building. We checked and checked and finally started to see the female bringing in nesting material. Hope it happens soon. It has been very hot here - temperatures around 90 and above. Lots of baby cardinals, bluejayss, etc. coming around our feeders near our house. Everyone is quite busy! And the babies are quite insistent on being fed even though some are a large as their parents....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING FOR BIRDSWhat to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESBring on the Birds: Natural Habitat Ideas for Gardens of All Sizes
Provide nesting, watering and perching spots inspired by the Costa Rican jungle and watch the birds flock on over
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESThe Truth About Bats: 3 Reasons to Love Them
It’s Halloween — time for spiders, black cats and bats. Here’s why we should appreciate, not fear, the nocturnal winged mammals
Full Story
FALL GARDENING7 Reasons Not to Clean Up Your Fall Garden
Before you pluck and rake, consider wildlife, the health of your plants and your own right to relax
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BIRDSBackyard Birds: Those Nutty Nuthatches
The North American songbirds, which often perch upside down, make themselves known in the winter landscape
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESMake Your Garden a Haven for Backyard Birds
Create a bird-friendly habitat in your yard with food, water and shelter
Full Story
PETSSo You Want to Get a Cat
If you're a cat lover, the joys outweigh any other issue. If you haven't lived with one yet, here are a few things to know
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: How to Care for American Goldfinches
The American goldfinch is a bright-in-the-summer visitor and one of the only vegetarian songbirds. Here's how to give them a healthy habitat
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSSummer Crops: How to Grow Tomatoes
Plant tomato seedlings in spring for one of the best tastes of summer, fresh from your backyard
Full Story
PETSDealing With Pet Messes: An Animal Lover's Story
Cat and dog hair, tracked-in mud, scratched floors ... see how one pet guardian learned to cope and to focus on the love
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations






parkernicole01