SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Hey all...I'm baaaaack! ;-)

Debbie B.
7 years ago

WARNING: PRETTY LONG :-)

Hi ladies and gentlemen!

I believe it's safe to say I'm back. :-) I won't bore you all with my health stuff, except to say things are going well right now. Blood sugar seems to be under control, and the arthritis is, well, it's arthritis. But a lot more good days than bad! So I can't complain. And in the slowest weight loss in history, haha, since my highest weight in January 2011, I've, as of yesterday, lost 75 lbs.! It's been an overall downward trend, although I've had my relapses of course. I have 48 lbs. to go to reach my goal weight and I hope it doesn't take another 3-4 years!

OK, enough of that! How's the house, you say? Well... as you may remember, or for those of you who don't know, I bought a 1979 SW 14x64' manufactured home from a couple who are hoarders. 3BD/1.5BA. The house is in terrible condition and my adult daughter, Joy, and I have a very long range plan to rebuild it from the ground up. When Joy and I moved in on March 1, it was floor to ceiling hoard, with just one small pathway through the house, and the previous owners were still there (she is a friend of mine from school). Joy and I were crammed into the back bedroom.

They moved out a couple of weeks later, but didn't take much of the hoard with them. Joy and I put in around 300 hours between the two of us packing up their stuff and confining most of the small (i.e. non-furniture) and non-kitchen stuff to two bedrooms. They finally came in May to get their stuff. When they left, they left a huge mess in their wake. Everything they didn't want and I didn't want (they kept trying to get Joy and me to take their problem off their hands), they piled up in the yard. It was an unbelievable amount of stuff!!! Even so, they filled a U-Haul with what they took, and were bringing it to their new, third(!), storage unit. AND they left a ton of stuff, decent to nice stuff, behind.

Anyway, long story short, we finally got rid of all the debris in the yard. Although they don't hoard trash or gross stuff, the nature of hoarding is such that you can't clean your house. They had lived here for about seven years and I don't think they ever really cleaned. So it was absolutely filthy!

FINALLY Joy and I got the house non-filthy, although there is no hope for the carpets (did I mention they had three dogs, two cats?). We hired a lovely couple from Craigslist, who we now consider friends, to clean the range. I had managed to clean the stove top and put in new burner bowls, but there was no way I could clean underneath the stove top, the oven, under the range, or the hood. It took the two of them a total of four hours!!

SO...all this time Joy and I have been living without OUR stuff. When we moved in, we brought our clothes, toiletries, our beds, my books, our electronics, and just a few other small things. The hoarders left us with a full living room set (they have three others now, that I know of), including sofa, love seat, coffee table, two end tables with lamps; a fully stocked kitchen, including dinnerware, cookware, etc., a kitchen table, several dressers, a huge roll top desk, myriad bookshelves, open shelving units, etc. So Joy and I cleaned all that up. The place was starting to look halfway decent!

THEN...Tuesday, July 5, the movers brought all of OUR stuff...YIKES!! Now it looks like we're the hoarders! OMG!! We have sooo much stuff!! Lol! So far we've given away three dressers, two bookshelves, a coffee table and two matching end tables, and I think someone's taking the roll top desk this weekend.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. Last week, two of the gals who work for the owner of the MHP were over here helping some of the elderly residents clean up their yards. They came over to our place for their lunch break and saw our disaster, haha!

About an hour after that, they came back and told us about the new neighbors up the street. They just moved here from Montana and were only able to take what they could fit in their minivan, with three kids and two dogs. They have NOTHING. And, the day after they arrived, the husband's lab results came back positive for colon cancer.

Well, we can't do anything but pray for the cancer situation, but wow were we ever in a once in a lifetime situation to help them out with stuff! We gave them plates, flatware galore, cooking utensils, pots and pans, two dressers, a bean bag chair, an office chair, TV trays, a little antique table, and I can't even remember. We were so happy to get rid of the stuff, and were doubly happy to give it to someone who really could use it! There will be more, lots more, lol, coming their way as we continue to unpack. Our goal is to be totally, 100% unpacked and organized by the 20th.

SO...(sigh)...that's what I've been up to. I'm happy that we have working Internet now and I can join you all again! I've really, honestly, missed you!

Sincerely,

Debbie

Comments (8)