SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terese_brannstrom

Crooked Phal - how to make it grow straight again?

Terese (Zone 5a)
7 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm not a serious enthusiast, but mostly like having nice, healthy plants around the home. So I have some basic knowledge of how to take care of plants, but my specialty knowledge for each species is not the best. So, to the point:

I've had this wonderful orchid (bought at Ikea of all places) years now, and in the beginning it grew straight up, and looked really nice. It's bloomed lots of time over the years, and I love it. But as time has gone by, it's began to fall over and it's now looking all crooked. I've been too intimidated to ever repot it, and it's slowly fallen out of favor, and put away in a less visible space.

I really like this plant, and I feel bad about neglecting it. So, what can I do/should I think about to make this plant feel better, and start to grow upright again? Can I remove some of the lower leaves and simply put it upright in the pot again? Or will it react badly to this? Anything else I should consider while repotting?

Plant in general:

The leaves are a bit wrinkly and sad, but I gave it a good soak yesterday, and if it doesn't improve, I'll redo it. One of the leaves have a tear halfway through, and a couple of the lowest are sort of discoloured. A little yellow around the tips and generally sad looking. The roots looks healthy through the pot, as far as I can tell. After the soak they have a fresh green color. The aerial roots are looking dry and wrinkled, I just sprayed them with some water though, after taking these photos.

I don't mind if it takes a few years before it looks really good, I have the patience.
Thank you for any help or input!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus