SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awong22828

Reinforce Subfloor with Plywood from Below?

awong22828
7 years ago

I am wondering if reinforcing a subfloor by gluing and screwing additional plywood sheeting in the joist voids would increase the stiffness of a floor. Currently, my 1979-bulit house has a raised foundation with cement piers located every 5-7 feet supporting 4x6 floor joists spaced 48 inches on-center and 1-1/8 inch plywood for the subfloor. The piers are spaced at 5 feet in the kitchen and back of the house, and every 7 ft at the front of the house. The floor joists are in good condition with no evident sags. I have some dips in the floor because of heavy loads (refrigerator, etc) resting on the subfloor only, in between joists. So can I add plywood sheeting (¾ or 1-1/8 thickness) under the subfloor and sister the floor joists to stiffen the floor and prevent further sags? Would adding blocking help the floor support more load? I understand that jacking may be required to remove the dips.

Feel free the speak about this in technical terms, I am a mechanical engineer, but sadly not a structural engineer.

Comments (14)