SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlevijunk

Any thoughts on my prospective appliance line up?

Lefty Lou
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The kids are off to college and we are transforming our house from kid-meca to adult-meca. For us this means cooking with friends a minimum of twice a week, enjoying wine and each other's company. I love having people in the kitchen with me and am often being asked to teach people how to cook. I suspect I am a better than average cook, but that's based on a pretty small sample size of the friends who feed me. Said friends assert that I am a great cook, but they love me so they are biased in my favor.

I do all my baking from scratch, including bread weekly. I bake goodies to send to my kids in college, weekly. Homemade pizza on the grill is a frequent event, especially in the the summer. I sous-vide a lot, and subsequently sear in carbon steel pans a lot. We eat a lot of roasted fresh veggies. I make all my soups and sauces from scratch, blah, blah, blah -- I cook from scratch. ;-)

On a day-to-day basis, I cook DH cleans up. Lucky me!

I've been reading reviews and comments on this forum for several months in preparation for our remodel. I've listed the items in order of importance to me, i.e. the rangetop is the most important, ovens second, etc. I appreciate any words of advice you can provide.

1. Range top: Capital Culinarian-- trying to decide between 48" with griddle or the 36" and just getting the griddle out when I need it. The price difference is not a factor in this decision.
  2. Vent-a-hood - is there a less expensive option that's as good?
  3. Ovens: Miele 30" double convection ovens OR Miele 30" single convection oven paired with the Miele Combi-Steam oven. I'm a little over 5'10" so prefer wall ovens to ranges.
  4. Dishwashers (2): I am a clean as you go cook, so even though there's very little to clean up at the end of the meal, the dishwasher is often full by the time I'm done prepping the meal -- especially when we entertain. I hate for my DH to stay up late doing dishes (we hate getting up to a messy kitchen), so we are considering two dishwashers. The kitchen is open to the family room and directly below the master bedroom, so quiet is a factor. KitchenAid KDTM354DSS (rated #1 by Consumer Reports) or Miele Futura Crystal (this brand is well-loved on this forum).
  5. Freezer/Ice Maker: SubZero 30" Freezer Drawer with ice Maker. We have a separate commercial freezer in the garage for stuff that needs long-term storage. The freezer in my house typically contains, ice, vodka, limoncello, a couple of baguettes, a loaf of bread and a pint of ice cream. I don't need a full-size freezer in the house. This is the only freezer/ice maker combo set of drawers I could find.
  6. Refrigerator: Okay, this a splurge Miele Master Cool Fully integrated 36" refrigerator. The interior is elegant (I mean that in the design sense rather than the aesthetic sense) -- the full extension drawers (no lost food), the adjustable temperature for the drawers. It's just so pretty (aesthetic) and practical (if we ignore the price). The storage space (19.7) is slightly larger than what we have now, but it's not as deep so things won't get lost in the back. The only downside I can see to this unit is the price. Two other options: GE Monogram 36" Built-In refrig. (more space) and $2k less money, or the Electrolux 32" Built in (slightly less space) and $4k less.
  7. Warming Drawer: I've never owned one, do those that own them find them useful? I imagine one is much like another, so just match the ovens? - Miele ESW6780SS

Now that this is all typed, it looks like so much to ask strangers to review. I deeply appreciate whatever insights you can provide.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor