SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

Second Flush of Austins

Ann9BNCalif
7 years ago

After many days of near 100 degree temps, it's going to be around 80 everyday for about week! Despite the heat, my Austins keep pushing out blooms - here are some of the best examples.

Munstead Wood - second flush looks nearly as good as the first. Fragrance has also been great! My new Mary Rose tree standard is in the background.

The Mary Rose standard, planted in February is on its third flush -- always has buds and blooms. The overall growth is a bit slow because it doesn't get quite as much sun but is protected from a lot wind.

Mary Rose battled mildew and blackspot earlier but seems to have recovered nicely.

Olivia Rose Austin withstood the near 100 degree temps for a couple of days but after three days or so, it blows.

Heritage - I read a book where David Austin says this rose is very similar in growth and character to Graham Thomas. It's not blooming much after a great spring similar to my experience with GT. Love the form, color and fragrance though.

Strawberry Hill - just planted this rose in February and it's still pretty small. The flowers are much tinier than I anticipated even at this early stage. Once the roots develop more, I'm sure it will get bigger.

A few more to follow...

Comments (17)