Plant ID please. Yellow flower, Eastern NY

Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)(5)

This plant is about 2' tall, growing at the side of the road on a very dry, hot slope (near some wild mullein plants). The leaves are in opposite pairs on the stem, the larger leaves at base of stem are notched. The yellow tubular flowers are about 2" long & 1" wide. It blooms from the bottom of the flower spike first & has a few seeds beneath the flowers. The seed pods look similar to a foxglove or a penstemon. I had a good look online but could not find it.Thanks in advance! (4 pictures below)

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I think we are looking at an Aureolaria but this is a genus I have never seen and know nothing about so I can't say which species it might be.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

I'm stumped. The inflorescence reminds of something in the Fabacea, but nothing else about it does.

Atlamol

Floral has it right. Aureolaria. Stem appears to be fuzzy? If so its downy yellow false foxglove, Aureolaria virginica.

floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I didn't know it but started looking in Scrophulariaceae because the buds looked so typical. True Foxgloves are in the same family. This flower lacks the standard, wing and keel petals of Fabaceae.

wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

You are correct sir (or madam)! I've got to get my head out of the popcorn cassias I planted all over this town!

Thank you all very much for your comments. Happy to have an ID on this plant. Hope to gather some seeds & grow in my garden.

1 Like Save    
Atlamol

Keep in mind that it's a hemiparasite on oaks, but I don't know how critical that is to growing it.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)

Hi atlamol I did not know that. I'll do some research. I have oaks in my yard. Thanks for the heads up

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Aha, Wisconsintom - you called my bluff. You're right. But then with the Cassia you have the leaves to go by. I just do these things by instinct, not having any botanical training whatsoever. I just get a feeling based on a lot of time staring at plants and this time it was for Scrophulariaceae.

wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

You done good, considering, Floral! Your knowledge is quite impressive actually.

PRO
Trilliums Landscaping & Horticulture

Is it possible that some people are over thinking this? looks like an evening primrose (Oenothera sp.) to me - fairly common in N.Y. and under the right conditions they can be tall and very showy.

Save    

Hi Trilliums Landscaping & Horticulture thanks for your comment it's definitely not evening primrose, which is a plant I am familiar with. Floral ID'd correctly (I googled the name after Floral's post). This is an uncommon plant in my area.

1 Like Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Right^...not Oenothera. No sir.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Silphium Perfoliatum Pleases Wildlife
Cup plant provides structure, cover, food and water to help attract and sustain wildlife in the eastern North American garden
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Snowberry Pleases Year-Round
Bright spring foliage, pretty summer flowers, white berries in winter ... Symphoricarpos albus is a sight to behold in every season
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Eastern Redbud
With romantic pink blooms and heart-shape leaves, this ornamental tree has been inspiring affection since the days of the founding fathers
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More