SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gdinieontarioz5

Found rose in Ontario

gdinieontarioz5
7 years ago

I don't post much, but I always love the stories about found roses from cemetaries or old houses. And now I have one! I have had it for two years actually, but now that it blooms in my garden, I can provide additional information if necessary.

In July 2014 we visited a little church near Sauble Beach (Ontario, Lake Huron, Z 4) that is now used as an antique store. It had a row of old type rose bushes along the side, in full bloom. According to the owner it was originally growing at the edge of the small cemetary behind the church. It suckered profusely, so he had planted some of the offsets beside the church. As those bushes were now also producing suckers, he allowed us to dig out a piece.

It has medium to strong pink nodding flowers with a button eye, medium strong 'old' scent (sorry, I cannot be more specific, but not myrrh like Little White Pet). The buds are covered in resiny smelling hairs. Very few thin prickles, I get the impression they tend to fall off. Seven leaflets. And as I said, it suckers. These are some pictures of the bushes beside the church.

Questions? Ideas?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County