SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
opaone

Best Cordless/Battery System? Ego? Echo? Other?

opaone
7 years ago

My wife wants a cordless blower that's easier for her to use than gas powered. I'm also a big fan of electric (we have a Tesla S and will soon have an X for my wife). Electric is quieter, more reliable, no having to buy or mix gas, easier to start, and no exhaust or gas fumes.

I have an Echo PAS-280 with bed redefiner, edger, tiller, and blower that I've been very happy with. Echo has some good history and experience in the industry but I don't know how much they know about newer technology. Ego appear to have done a great job on the battery and motor end and seem to be getting a bit more umph per battery pound than Echo. Haven't yet looked much at others.

My question is not so much just the blower but who has the better system if I expand to mower, trimmer, chainsaw, etc. Ego has a wider selection of batteries, all batteries work in all tools, and while Echo tops out at 4 Ah, Ego also has 5 Ah and 7.5 Ah batteries as well as a fast charger option (though I'd assume this has some impact on battery life).

I'd be quite happy if I could eventually replace all of our gas powered tools (PAS, Echo trimmer, Echo hedge trimmer, Toro mower, snow blower, etc) with battery powered and get rid of gas cans and trips to fill them (and dump old gas).

Comments (5)