SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexandra_parker23

Tail and ear docking

TaraMaiden
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

These practices are illegal in the UK, unless carried out for legitimate medical reasons. If favoured for 'cosmetic' looks or purely and simply for the sake of doing it, the responsible person can be very heavily penalised.

I am of the opinion that tail docking is wrong, and ear clipping utterly barbaric and extremely misguided.

It is normally carried out on breeds such as Great Danes and Dobermans, effectively to make them look alert, fierce or just a force to be reckoned with.

But dogs use their ears as a form of communication with other dogs, and artificially perking them up sends the wrong signals to other dogs.

I think the cosmetic ban in the UK for both practices is entirely justified and correct.

I think it should be banned elsewhere too, where it is currently still permitted.

Thoughts? (And this is a debate, not a confrontation, let's keep it pleasant and not get on the defensive....)

ETA: I am a Dog Behaviourist of nearly 25 years' standing. I have owned 4 dogs in my lifetime and have a portfolio of highly satisfied clients, with whom I still correspond on a friend basis. I have also advised and counselled people entirely by email, and have, together with their cooperation, effected very successful results. If anyone would like to see my website, you can PM me and I will happily give you the link.

Comment (1)

Sponsored