SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Dealing with a "Queen Bee" in the hive ...

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The hive being code for workplace. For obvious reasons, I can't go into detail, but I sure would like to know if any of you have any experience in dealing with a "queen bee" in your own workplace: Someone who is your professional peer, but believes themselves to be superior to you and other peers. Someone who attempts to call the shots and has a very apparent deep-seated need to feel and appear to others to be "large and in charge." It goes without saying, I suppose, that this is an extremely bossy and demanding individual, who also uses backhanded tactics to undermine those who don't fall in lockstep with the Queen Bee agenda.

What are some effective coping mechanisms, given the knowledge that the situation is not likely to change due to management's refusal to address the issue? (HR is not an option; don't want to get into why this is - suffice it to say that's the reality. Well - actually, there may come a time when this changes, but for the foreseeable future, it is what it is.) So, what must then follow is an individual's conscious decision on how to handle working with such an individual. The way I see it, there are two options: (1) Allow oneself to be steamrolled and accept outright mistreatment on occasion; or (2) Develop assertive skills and become unafraid to stand up and speak out. Being able to take the second tack in a professional and non-emotional fashion would be extremely empowering, I'd think. That said, in an environment where people have been bullied by this very dominant personality and are afraid to "buck the norm", seeming to believe that acquiescence equates to "playing nice" -- well, let's just say that when one does buck that norm, it's uncomfortable to say the least. Let's also say that short of losing my job over this (which I really don't think would happen), I'm ready to say "buck it."

Please share if you have any stories of your own, or even if you can relate to any of this rather convoluted post and have a suggestion or two.

Comments (69)

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Stay above it. Queen Bee is keeping her own log. The follower types in your work place might agree with you but can't be trusted with any comments you might make on QB.

Imagine you have a bubble around you to keep her out.

There is a good chance QB will be there a very long time before karma comes.

I've had two QB's in my life and both times it came back to bite them badly. However, QB's are pretty durable and almost always find another hive of little followers and sometimes even keep one or two from a previous hive.

I know it's easy to say but try not to let it eat you. Stay above it.

• User
    7 years ago

You need to ask yourself what the QB is getting out of this. The answer is probably jollies from making others uncomfortable. She's a master manipulator. If you don't react, she'll find another pond to fish in.

• Related Discussions

600 hives wiped out in ontario

Q

Comments (35)
    Willow can be an important early spring pollen. I think it is actually rather low in nutrition (protein) but it comes early and the bees take what they can. Red maple is another early source of both pollen and nectar...again I think the pollen is fairly low in protein. I have been told bees will work coltsfoot in spring but I have never seen it. I thought most species of witch hazel bloom late in the fall and experienced keepers say the bees will certainly use it if the temps are high enough for them to forage. I guess in some regions it blooms early spring instead? Fall pollen storage is pretty critical for honeybees. "bee bread" is how they store it, a mixture of pollen and honey that is cultured with yeast and fungi. In the north, It's what they use to start rearing their first rounds of new bees to begin replacing the old spent winter bees.... and it happens before their are any blooms coming off and snow is still on the ground. I think many of the native pollinators overwinter as either dormant stocked larva or solitary mated females/queens so I don't know if the timing of their needs coincide.
    ...See More

What do I need to move a current hive.

Q

Comments (2)
    You can screen the entrance, strap the hive together securely, and load them on a pickup. And yes, you can drive down the highway at 55 or 75. The best time to do this is very early in the morning or at sunset. This means most of the bees will be in the hive and the heat won't be as bad.
    ...See More

What happened to our hive?

Q

Comments (5)
    How full was the hive at the inspection? Some dead bees in front is normal,..hive might have swarmed and you didn't know,..when you inspected it with no brood that can me normal also when it swarmed because the new queen needs some time for mating flight etc. before she can lay again, around 2 or 3 weeks. IF..this happened, then you should have a new laying queen, see if bees are hauling in pollen, if so, this is a good sign that you have a laying queen. It can happen that all fails for them to make a new queen, you as bee keeper can correct this by giving them a frame of newly laid eggs from the other hive,..they'll will make new queen cells from these, but I'm afraid its too late in the season. Inspected it again and see,..If still no brood but lots of bees you could buy a mated queen, otherwise they would die out over winter without new bees coming, or you can introduce the left over to the other hive with newspaper, or just shake them out.
    ...See More

Do I need insurance for the hives on my property

Q

Comments (7)
    I would think one could only be liable if someone was stung on your property. Of course one could argue about where the bees actually came from etc. If anything happens on your property you 'could' be liable. When I was a kid, we had a doberman on our property. It was behind a 6ft chainlink fence with a beware of dog sign clearly presented. A dumb lady from a well known cosmetics company came soliciting uninvited and decided it was a good idea to walk clear over to the side if our yard far away from the front door and stick her fingers through the fence to 'pet' a snarling doberman. She sued my mom and since it was on our property, she had to pay. I have heard of burglars suing people when getting hurt on your property. You never know lol. If it was off your property, it seems like it would be really difficult to prove it was actually your bee/s that did it. If you had a hive that you knowingly had aggressive africanized bees and someone could prove you knew it and the hive attacked someone AND they could prove it was your hive, then maybe it would hold in court. I would just plan to carry extra insurance as docmom does. I'm not an attorney but am just logically guessing lol.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have thought long and hard about what she could possibly be getting out of it, and I think with every effort to control a person or situation, she feels a sense of power and importance that is otherwise lacking in her life.

That is really sad, isn't it?

Staying above it is vital. And so very, very hard to do. :-/

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Boy is it ever hard. But you know if you get too involved in it ...it means you might have some things in common with QB. Imagine the big bubble. It doesn't let bees in.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've told the superiors with whom I've discussed these issues that I'm extremely wary of being viewed as a "petty woman" who can't get along with others, or of even the remotest of possibilities that I'd be seen as somehow jealous of her. I've been assured that neither of those things are the case, but I'm still very cognizant of the potential for misperception.

• User
    7 years ago

justerrilynn

Boy is it ever hard. But you know if you get too involved in it ...it means you might have some things in common with QB. Imagine the big bubble. It doesn't let bees in.

Funny, this reminds me of the character Ted in Scrubs. He did the "boing fwip".

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yep. She targeted my work alright. I implemented a change to a process and (to make a long story short), she went behind my back and invented a line of BS about why it wouldn't work (when it had already been approved), and talked her superior into reverting back to the original process. It was all very underhanded, and very upsetting to others who were affected by the de-implementation of what I'd orchestrated.

I'm quite sure that this stems from a couple of other decisions that I have made as a team leader. When those decisions were announced, she instantly threw out reasons why we should just keep to "the old ways" and not try something new (which will actually be much more efficient and sensible than the old ways), and we butted heads. She saw an opportunity to slip around behind my back and undo my work and jumped on it.

I intend to be cordial and professional, but there's no love lost here and I don't want to play games and pretend that there is. I like that icy stare. I can do that. ;-)

• User
    7 years ago

Oh, do the Stepford Wife smile. That slight closed-lip grin that politely says "f*ck you sideways".

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL!

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I'm confused, is she also a team leader but in another department?

If your plan was approved but QB reversed it isn't that a bad management problem?

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I'm wondering if she WANTS to be the Queen Bee but knows that she isn't and that she never will be.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

JT: Yes. And yes.

Sorry - If I could go into greater detail, this would make much more sense, I realize -- but I can't.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

blfenton - I suspect that her behavior stems from a place of deep insecurity and uncertainty, and yet what comes out instead is extremely egotistical and downright conceited. I do know that "normal" people at least exhibit some humility when they want to brag on themselves, but with her, it's completely nonexistent. It's like there is a missing filter or something. I do think she's managed to convince herself that she is QB, although I think somewhere in the recesses of her mind she wrestles greatly with feelings of inferiority.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

That would be a really hard person to get a handle on when dealing with them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

You can always do what my DH does....I tell him what I want him to do, he smiles, nods and then goes about his own business anyway.

:)

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Google working with narcissists. Most people say eventually it's better to get distance from people like that than let the stress ruin your life.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh, yes, I've had to deal with my share of QB's before. Both personally and professionally. The way I've handled it is to be very frank with them-say "QB, I understand we must work together, but know that I have no intention of being your friend, nor will I accept any undermining or backstabbing from you. We both have jobs to do here and I think it's best that we stay out of one another's way so we can do what we're paid to do." Then walk away.

It is not easy to do that, but as you've said, you don't want her taking up any more space in your head.

At work we've been directed to work through a program by Steven Covey called 'The Speed of Trust'. One of the main things it talks about is the cost to business when trust is not there. QB's definitely exhibit trust tax, so your job is to be as honest and truthful as you can be. She's never going to like you-and that is HER problem. If you're a valued member of the team, one who does not tax the company, you'll be fine. And more importantly, management and your coworkers will come to believe in a trustworthy person.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Has QB been there a long time? Is she being protected by upper management for some reason (e.g., a relationship within the company)? Does anyone really like her?

I wonder why she's able to behave as she does without consequences. Does she have something on someone?

I would tread carefully and, whenever possible, take the high road. Be civil, pleasant, and otherwise give her a wide berth. Otherwise, I'd want to punch her in the mouth.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Fortunately I don't have any colleagues like that. I work with fantastic people. We have dismissed those who aren't. I feel very blessed.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Narcissists are insecure which is why they behave the way they do. I have a good friend who's a Narc and I did a lot of reading on the subject.

They do like to be in control and are notorious in disagreeing with others, hence the Queen Beeotch constantly under-minding you. :)

I like all the advice given to you. Say nothing else and just be kind while biting your lip.

If you're lucky, you'll get to witness what I did. I worked at a bank and there was a similar Q.B. that no one liked. The bank had a very long lobby. A co-worker and I were in an office with large glass windows that looked out onto the lobby.

I looked up, and Queenie was walking from one end of the lobby to the other, and believe me, was a LONG walk.

She was a heavyset woman (nothing wrong with that), and had on a dress. However, she obviously just came out of the restroom because the whole back of her dress was tucked inside her pantyhose exposing it ALL.

My coworker and I (good friends too), were in shock and immediately fell to the floor under the window where no one could see us, and laughed so hard tears were coming from our eye's! If it was anyone else we'd run out there and help. God forgive me, but I couldn't help but laugh. Someone did tell her though.

Best.comeuppance.ever.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

"This crap makes my blood pressure spike too. I've internalized this for a very long time, and keep having to come back to the place where I remind myself that Queenie doesn't get to live rent-free in my head."

I worked for The Boss from Hell for 8 years; he was forced out (finally) and now that the experience is history I have thought about this dynamic. The best advice I got was from my father who is a former military officer and retired assistant dean of admin (in higher ed, as am I) who said to me 'put your head down and do your work'.

I would add as a former HR coordinator that the mantra of 'we can't control attitude, we can only control actions' is key. It really doesn't matter about how the QB makes you FEEL. Any office is set up with a chain of command. The higher ups make decisions, and they are responsible for how those decisions are implemented. So what I'm saying is that as tough as it is to do, you will be happier in the long run recognizing that our work is not ourselves and that your paycheck reflects the agreement that you do YOUR work during the work day....let the rest of it go.

I speak as someone who quite literally couldn't get up and go to work for several days at one point because I was so shattered by Bad Boss' management. I spent years furiously dealing with decisions that were wrong in spirit and result. I lost sleep, I stressed, my marriage was affected and after it all ended I came to understand that BB did me a favor because now I am much more clear on the limits of where I have to be spiritually and what I owe the place that provides me my livelihood.

There are always going to be people who we find irritating and who seem to act in ways that are designed to be spiteful and negative. It's simply not worth trying to spend one's emotional and professional capital to battle them. Put your head down and do your work. And if your work place superiors make choices you think are wrong and damaging, speak up when asked but otherwise let the ones who call the shots reap the rewards or the damages.

Last but not least, I also wouldn't waste your time and mental energy trying to understand or label this colleague--again, this isn't a relative, or a friend. This is someone you have to work with and truly it really doesn't make any difference whether she is a narcissist or whatever label can be applied. As you say, quit letting her take up space in your mind, it just is not worth it.

• User
    7 years ago

Best.comeuppance.ever.

Putting it on Youtube would have been the cherry on top.

(nope, wouldn't do it, but it would be sweet)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL, Oakley! That is pure greatness! I think I've mentioned before that we watch Joyce Meyer's program, and this morning she spoke about praying for one's enemies, and even asking for them to be blessed. She pointed out that "blessing" doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get a promotion (or a new car or a nicer house), but perhaps they'll be "blessed" by having their eyes opened to their behavior. I have to think that even an exposed-backside comeuppance might have been a roundabout "blessing" of a sort. ;-)

Linelle, QB has been here for many years (but I've been here more than twice as long), and yes, there is "protection" because of a relationship. Therein lies the real problem and if management won't manage the situation, then it's up to me (and others who also suffer at her hand) to learn to deal. That's what I've been trying to do for quite some time, and am still getting a handle on it. It isn't easy, but I am making progress.

Neetsiepie, that kind of frankness doesn't come easy to me at all but I'm coming to realize that there are situations in which it becomes an absolute necessity. I think most of us women have been conditioned just to "be nice" and "get along with others", but there comes a time when we have to realize that's just not going to be possible with everyone.

I've been thinking back over my 36 years in the workforce and while I've worked with a handful of people who have made me roll my eyes due to their incompetence or slacker tendencies -- and I worked with one woman who talked entirely too much and drove me up the wall with her constant chatter, but she was a kind, sweet soul so I found it easier to overlook -- I've never before worked with someone that I felt would "do me dirty" given half a chance. Perhaps I've been quite fortunate that this has only come up now, after many years of being surrounded by wonderful coworkers.

Thank you all for your input. I don't want to simply be reactionary, but want to have a firm plan in place for how I'm going to deal with this as time goes on. You've all helped me see things even clearer, and I appreciate it.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Ida one thing I have felt helpful in dealing with untrustworthy colleagues is to send a quick email after any meeting detailing decisions come to in the meeting and actions to be taken. At that point if the person doesn't respond or disagree, you've got a really good paper trail. Of course we take minutes during official meetings but I'll send even after a standup. Had to start this when a coworker was going through the 'change' and would become angry and defensive when she forgot things we had agreed on. Felt bad for her but don't take it out on me!

PS it's been a week and I haven't gotten an email back about the lie.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good idea, robo.

I have learned to limit my emails to facts only. She has a strong tendency to get "butthurt" and on more than one occasion has attempted to maneuver an email discussion into emotional territory, where she wanted to play victim and (I presume) have others rush to nurse and stroke her ego. I've actually been quite proud of my ability to respond in total clinical fashion ... in fact, on one of those occasions, someone else who was a part of the email discussion noticed it and commended me privately for it. ;-)

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Yes I spend a lot of time carefully crafting emails in those situations. Possibly much more than is warranted. I think I have the very polite tone down.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Do you all find that working with a lot of women is a bit hard? The best job I had was working for professors in the school of business, and I had two other women working with me. It was perfect, and easier to get along with.

At the bank I had a horrible experience. A lady I knew because our kids were on the same soccer team took me out to lunch about a month or so after I started working. I was the only part-time worker there, my hours were 9-3. I was able to take the kids to school and pick them up.

While we were having lunch she asked me what made me want to go back to work, and I was honest since I thought we were kind of friends, and said the hours and the pay, and stupid me mentioned what I made.

That afternoon my boss called me into the office and told me to shut the door. Uh oh. lol. He asked why I told people my salary and I said I didn't. Then it dawned on me that my so-called friend went back to work and told the whole loan department, full time workers who had been there for years, that I made more money than they did! He understood thank God.

The rest of my tenure was very uncomfortable because everyone (mostly women) knew they started me at a high salary. I can't help it if I'm special. LOL

• tinam61
    7 years ago

Runninginplace - best advice ever.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, good advice from Runninginplace, and RiP - I am so sorry about your miserable experience. It does sound like you learned a lot and developed some excellent coping skills, though.

I absolutely do keep my head down (oh, believe me, I keep my head down!) and do my job to the best of my ability, so that's already covered. There must be regular interaction with QB, however, and that means she's going to be on my radar in some form. I understand that I'm the only one who can control how much of an affect she has on my life. That said, the negative feelings that arise in a person when another person is abrasive to the Nth degree and a situation is patently unfair are normal and a part of our defense mechanism as human beings ... So how does one effectively quash those feelings and that inner dialogue and simply get on with it?

• Bunny
    7 years ago

One more thing. I would avoid any email responses to her or about her. Especially about her. Emails live forever. I know, because I've kept some for years, just in case. Eye-popping, jaw-dropping. I've had good friends--sensible people, allies-- accidentally (I'm hoping) forward something not meant for another directly to the other. Ooops.

• User
    7 years ago

Be careful, if she is protected by management and takes a greater dislike to you, could your job be in jeopardy?

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, in the ordinary course of the job, I have to email with her routinely. Generally it's entirely work-related, but I do know not to engage in or be sucked into any games she might be intent on playing. I've seen what happens when someone else did "go there" with her, and it wasn't pretty. You are right about emails living forever, though.

RA: I doubt it, but I still believe it wise to tread lightly, measure my words appropriately, and at all times be the consummate professional.

• cattyles
    7 years ago

I dealt with this for years and I really feel for you. I appreciate all the words of wisdom in this post because guess what? My QB thankfully took another job and has been gone for about six blissful months. But she hates the new job and has been lobbying to come back. I have ignored messages she has left for me to call her but she left another this morning.

I used a combo of Running, Neetsie and Robo's advice to cope. Most of all, I put my head down and produced good work. I protected myself with follow-up emails to prevent future "misconscrewments", and when necessary, I very directly said, "knock it off and go away" while maintaining icy eye contact. I would just mention, in passing to my boss "hey, I had a situation where I told QB to knock it off, just FYI". I made myself a very polite, professional, difficult target.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

"Do you all find that working with a lot of women is a bit hard?"

No but I find that tired and nasty trope is hard to read as well as misogynistic and misguided; let's please not do this.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love working with women.

I love working with men.

Just as long as they aren't arseholes.

;-)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cattyles - yep, I like your style. That's what I'm endeavoring to do in my own situation, and I definitely have made mention of the "encounters" with QB to my supervisor, who is sympathetic.

• cattyles
    7 years ago

I know how totally exhausting it is, Jen. I get the feeling that like me, you have a hard time even believing someone would put so much energy into being an arsehole, lol. And it's like Running was in my head! Yes, I read and researched and tried to figure her out. But holy hell......why?

Im pretty sure my QB is coming back,. We will be each other's support. We shall survive! Hugs and fist bump.

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Oakley - I manage a clinical department that is equally male and female. Both can be difficult and exhausting or delightful and energizing. In my 2 1/2 decades of experience, the only time someone actively tried to aggressively cause me professional harm it was a man.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

I bucked the bee and she got fired. I felt very validated. She was very unhappy with me, but all I did was stand up for myself. I wasn't vindictive at all.

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Oh and the "butthurt", gah I hate that!. She even had minions that would let me know I had "upset her". I would simply not acknowledge any of it by changing the subject and having a pleasant interaction without any personal comments whatsoever. It's hard but it works.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Buck you, Bee! I love it. :-)

I do think that completely refusing to engage is the most appropriate response. Once you so much as argue back angrily, the QB has you where they wanted you all along. I think there has simply got to be a very fine art to walking the high road at all times, but still maintaining an assertiveness that makes it known that you will not be trifled with.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I have found that many times when you finally "have to stand up to someone", they generally back down. But yes, refusing to engage is best.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tina, that's very true of my own QB. On the rare occasion when I have stood up to her, she instantly seems to fall onto her back with her feet in the air, those legs a-kickin' as she backpedals. It would almost be humorous to watch that happen, were the whole thing not so darned infuriating.

• silvercomet1
    7 years ago

If HR is useless and management is afraid of Queen Bee or seems to back her up even in her craziness, then the other thing I would do is polish up my resume and keep an eye out for a new job. If HR and management won't deal with the QB problem, then unfortunately the problem is much larger than QB, and isn't terribly likely to improve. There are some good tactics above for trying to deal with QB, but I know that the day would come when I would hit my limit on dealing with her, and I would want to have other options already in mind. You might still run into other QBs in other workplaces, but in other workplaces management might not be so unwilling to deal with it, and that would be a big improvement.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Goodness RIP, I wasn't trying to start anything. I've worked in offices with only three women, myself included, and a lot of women. My personal experience is when there are many women together, that's when things get sticky. Women are different from men with their emotions.

• User
    7 years ago

This is an interesting read.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/worldviews/2012/04/30/why-women-are-the-worst-kind-of-bullies/#69de388147f4

I found this paragraph the best advice.

Report to your superiors and make it a business case on how the bully is affecting your productivity and driving up absenteeism. The minute you talk about how emotionally traumatized you are, you’re unlikely to get any help.”

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

"My personal experience is when there are many women together, that's when things get sticky. Women are different from men with their emotions"

And of course your experiences are your own, just as everyone else's are. What I objected to is a blanket query about whether groups of X are difficult to work with--if one applies the polarity test it's an offensive view to me. Are groups of black people difficult to work with, or groups of Muslims, or groups of gay people? It's just a nasty theme of thought.

And from what you have shared online, your experience of working professionally is limited to several brief clerical positions decades ago before leaving the workplace and never returning to paid employment. It's a bit of a stretch to extend that to everyone working with women in the professional arena.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

' your experience of working professionally [appears to be] is limited to several brief clerical positions'

What do 'clerical positions' have to do with your analysis?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

Oooh, this thread is now taking an unexpected turn.

Back to the main question: dealing with a Queen Bee. Yes, been there. I too worked in higher education - as someone else above - in a right-hand-man position to the institution's CEO. For 30+ years. I dealt with many Queen Bees. (Granted, their contact with me was not quite as overt because of the position I held. But their true colors were very clear and I was able to deal with them with my eyes wide open.)

The best remedies I discovered over the years have already been listed: keep your head down and do your job; limit contact and never voluntarily talk with QB about anything at all, no matter how trivial; document, document, document and cc the higher up's; kill them with kindness; and one more, promoted by my DH: don't get mad, get even. Gotta be careful with that last one, though - he works in the private sector and I believe that mantra may operate better there than in the public realm.

One of our worst QBs was promoted way beyond her capabilities (think Peter Principle) and she finally hung herself. The last straw was when our Faculty Senate presented a Vote of No Confidence in her to our governing board. It took a while for her to hang, but when she did, she went down in flames. Many, many people were gratified.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

"What do 'clerical positions' have to do with your analysis?"

In many organizations clerical positions tend to be jobs with much less autonomy and authority in the organization. So the folks who work in those positions often, and unfairly, are not treated very well by colleagues and supervisors although they often are people who literally do the majority of what gets done well in the company.

So....my analysis is that judging what it means to work collaboratively with an entire gender may be colored if your experience is limited to working for brief periods of time in jobs that often seem to result in suboptimal behavior by others in the organization.