SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyramos98

Sub Zero and home warranty

Nancy
7 years ago

We recently bought a house that is 15 years old. It has a built in 2 unit Sub Zero refrigerator. A soon as we moved, I found out there is ice build up in the refrigerator. After a few days the ice melted and the temperature of the refrigerator started going up. It went up to high 50s. Then the temp of the freezer started going up from -5 to 10. I called factory authorized Sub Zero service company (only one in our area). They cleaned the condenser and did a diagnostic. They mentioned that the units are in good condition but evaporator in the refrigerator needs to be repaired/replaced and the motor for freezer need to be fixed. They estimated it at $1200.

We have American Home Shield(AHS) home warranty for which we are paying $800+ per year. Is it possible for me to get this service covered under warranty? The Sub Zero technicians mentioned that usually warranty companies send inexperienced contractors who usually do more damage than fixing. I've read similar things when I googled. They mentioned that I can argue with the warranty company and have the "experts" fix it and get the cost reimbersed.

How should I go about this? Should I just call AHS, pay them service call fee and have them come take a look at it? Or, should I mention that I had diagnostic done and I want to go with factory authorized service technicians work on it and have it reimbursed (if at all this is possible)

Anyone have experience with this type of situation? First time we've taken a home warranty and haven't called them yet.

The technicians mentioned that they pumped gas into the condenser (or somewhere) and they have the units working temporarily, but they said it might last only a month and the units will have the problem again. The units are working exactly as the technicians mentioned and am trusting their opinions.

Suggestions please.

Comments (4)