SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davewilt

Realtors, Builders: is a 36" Sub-Zero too small for a higher-end home?

Dave Wilt
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are entering a second phase of a full-house renovation of our 5BR 3900SF 1978 home in a Kirkland, WA neighborhood where most homes are modern style in $2M-$3M range (and climbing). We are not flipping but don't want to be caught under-building in case we do need to sell in next few years.

We are trying to decide between the integrated Sub-Zero 36" fridge/freezer (about $9K list before panels) vs. a combo of columns (at least one over/under as we love drawers) for a total of 42 to 48 (about $15-$16K).

The only reason for NOT getting a 36" would be if a typical buyer for this type of home would be disappointed in only 36" (with expensive cabinetry essentially locking them into that size). For our own personal use we don't need any more than 36" because our second fridge will be just around the corner in the pantry with 36" full-depth (and an external water/ice that fits our needs way better than SZ). Functionally we are just fine now but am convinced it would be financially unwise to build a brand new custom kitchen around a freestanding LG.

A second, smaller reason for preferring 36" is symmetry. In my current design along a fixed wall starting from the left I have 1) a 31" full-wall cabinet (about the min. width needed to hide certain favorite small appliances), 2) 31" wall cabinet/backsplash/drawers that happens to fit trim kit to microwave / speed oven, 3) 31" wall cabinet/backsplash/drawers, 4) 36" SZ. If I jump to 42" SZ I now have 1) 31 2) 31 3) 25 4) 42. Hardly a show-stopper but one factor to consider.

And then there is the cost. With SZ it seems that anything bigger than 36" -- even just 6" more to 42" -- almost doubles the cost since it's 2 columns. Just looking at bang for refrigerator buck it would make most sense to go to 48" (30" fridge + 18" freezer) or even 52" since the price of columns don't differ much by size (18" freezer column is $6730 while a 36" column is 100% larger for just 20% more cost @ $8000). But then we lose precious wall cabinet space and wind up with enough refrigeration to open a restaurant.

Size aside, you may be wondering how I made the giant leap from LG freestanding to SZ integrated, which is a bit like struggling over an appetizer choice between pigs in a blanket or Caviar. Both are great, neither typically one of 2 options.

Here are some assumptions I am stating for purposes of having them challenged by people with professional experience to the contrary:

- An integrated refrigerator or big, bold SS built-in are expected in this price range and, given the modern style in our area and this kitchen design, integrated is the way to get the most design bang-for-the-buck (vs. a panel-ready built-in which seems like it doesn't go far enough).

- For resale it doesn't particularly matter whether a Miele, Thermador or Fisher Paykel would look and perform as well: It's about the emotional effect the Sub-Zero brand has over a typical luxury buyer

- The brand effect isn't even about the value of the refrigerator, it's about what that brand says about the rest of the house. And no other brand in the house, except the oven/cooktop, has this same level of halo effect over the perceived quality of the rest of the house (search real estate listings for brands of windows, doors, tile, etc... pretty rare).

- There are a million other things that impact traffic, time on market, selling price... But with all other things being equal SZ will add value to a luxury home beyond the extra cost.

Call me out - where am I wrong?

I actually would like to BE wrong because I think Fisher & Paykel look as good from outside, better on inside, and would be far less expensive. So I am very open to another brand if Realtors, developers and spec builders are seeing reliably as-good or better brand halo effects for this bracket of home buyers. But as a long-time marketer (my day job) I have learned not to underestimate the emotional reasons people buy, and the power of a brand to tap into them.

One more consideration: when the time comes I do not anticipate any trouble getting traffic because we have a panoramic view of Lake Washington as a main draw and, at this end of the market there usually aren't many choices on the market at a given time in our area. So perhaps the value of including Sub-Zero in listings is mostly about traffic, and once they see a gorgeous integrated refrigerator, coupled with a gorgeous view, the halo effect of an appliance brand will fade away.

So what I WANT to hear is that 36" is a perfectly fine size for this price range of house (esp with 2nd fridge around corner). Even better is to hear 36" is great AND Sub-Zero brand not really a benefit over any high-end brand integrated into great looking cabinets. But what I NEED to hear is the truth as you see it.

Am I over-estimating the value of the Sub-Zero brand? Under-estimating the size that buyers expect in this price range? Over-thinking? :)

Comments (33)